Fierce Fury or Nosler 48 Western

I've liked my fierce fury. It's a 7RM and has been easy to find loads for. It shoots the berger 168 classic hunter in the .3-.4s, 180 eldm in the .4s. The berger 180 hybrids shot in the .6-.9 range depending on charge. I haven't played with seating depth yet. I like the sako 85 style action, but with my sako 85 I didn't like the integral dove tail which limits which scope rings you can run. The fierce comes with a threaded barrel and muzzle brake which is nice. I don't have experience with the nosler.

I spent a lot of time last fall looking for a new rifle. My choices were narrowed down to a Fury, CA Mesa, and an M48. The fury had the smoothest action of them all. It felt like the Nosler 48 had a 2 stage cocking mechanism. I couldn't get used to it. The stocks on the CA and Fury were nicer too. Ultimately I chose the CA because it's essentially a 700 with all the upgrades I wanted.

My hunting partner got a fury, it's sub MOA with several loads and half MOA with his favorite. The performance of the rifle out to 700 yards has been nice. One problem he's had though is that the paint on the stock is wearing heavily after 1 season.

Last edited:
Bought a Fierce Edge 28 Nosler this fall. Very nice gun, excellent tolerances on the action, smoooooth bolt, and I like the stock fit with the raised comb. The brake is really excellent, I can shoot that 28 all day prone/off the bench, easy recoil. Focused on 180 Hybrids, went through a load of load development, and final groups were about 0.8 moa with both 8133 & Retumbo, shooting 200 yds. Didn't quite hit the 0.5 moa guarantee. Best node was around 3,130 fps, very consistent. Fwiw, I got to use the 180 Hybrid on a big horn in Montana at 325 yards. DRT, no exit wound at all, and the chest cavity looked like a bomb went off in there.
IMG_0318.JPG

Congrats on a great ram and nice shooting! 28 Nosler has some speed behind it. I agree, the bolt throw on the fierce is very smooth. It's just as smooth as the sako. The stock on my fury 7RM I got a few years ago almost has a soft touch feel to it. It is comfortable to the touch but I can see how this could potentially wear off easier than other paints/coatings. I actually got another fierce in a different caliber recently and the paint seems different, it does not have the soft touch feel to it. Perhaps it will be more durable. I was thinking of building a custom hunting rig this year but occasionally the fury will go on sale for $1600. I had a hard time justifying the extra $3K for the custom knowing the fury shot so well so picked up another fury instead. Cal Zant at precision rifle blog had a cool series a couple years ago analyzing "How much does it matter", where he looked at different variables and how it impacted hit percentage at long distance. Definitely worth checking out. Essentially what I got out of it was once you have an accurate rifle, ammo with an acceptable ES the biggest factor in making hits way out there is wind calling ability. As far as which rifle to go with, if you have the chance to check them both out in person and handle them maybe that will help to see if one fits you better than the other. I handled a Nosler at cabelas, not sure if it was western or patriot, but when I shouldered it seemed like the trigger was too far rearward for me to be comfortable. Everybody is different, different body types, different preferences. Handling them if possible is always a plus.

Bought a Fierce Edge 28 Nosler this fall. Very nice gun, excellent tolerances on the action, smoooooth bolt, and I like the stock fit with the raised comb. The brake is really excellent, I can shoot that 28 all day prone/off the bench, easy recoil. Focused on 180 Hybrids, went through a load of load development, and final groups were about 0.8 moa with both 8133 & Retumbo, shooting 200 yds. Didn't quite hit the 0.5 moa guarantee. Best node was around 3,130 fps, very consistent. Fwiw, I got to use the 180 Hybrid on a big horn in Montana at 325 yards. DRT, no exit wound at all, and the chest cavity looked like a bomb went off in there.View attachment 116253
Nice ram!

Congrats on a great ram and nice shooting! 28 Nosler has some speed behind it. I agree, the bolt throw on the fierce is very smooth. It's just as smooth as the sako. The stock on my fury 7RM I got a few years ago almost has a soft touch feel to it.......
Thanks on the ram! I went with the Fierce because: I didn't have time for a build; wanted to 'step-up' from the my factory guns; and had a chance to checkout the Fierce alongside the CA Ridgeline at Cabelas. That was the clincher for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.