FIELD TESTING SHERMAN SHORT ADG BRASS

What cartridge is best for a short barrel for the used of a suppressor? For getting the highest bullet velocity for weight of projectile.
Say a 20" barrel.
A 30 cal bullet with a 200-215 grain weight
A 6.5 cal bullet with a 140-150 grain weight
A 7mm bullet with a 168-195 grain weight

Brian

you have sort of opposing issues when you add in suppressors. As Rich has said the larger the caliber the closer ratio of bore to powder volume means faster powders and more efficiency i.e powder burned per barrel length. But a suppressor works off the gasses and its effect on vel is from its effect on efficiency. It allows more powder to burn. This is also the case for sound suppression. A more powder to bullet cal the more % of sound suppression.

So if you want the suppressor that has the most effect on sound and vel you want to go with a smaller cal to powder ratio. But this may not mean that it will win in absolute terms other than increased vel from the suppressor.

Honestly though with those calibers it should work well either way as its not that extreme. Like Rich said what range and targets/game are the goal? Technically all things being equal the 6.5 would add the most vel from the suppressor but then it also would likely have lost the most vel as the barrel gets shorter so...........

OK, so after getting all my brass fire formed, I am getting ready for an upcoming antelope hunt.

While I have a really fantastic hunting load already worked up for my 6.5SS using 150 SMKs and also 140 HVLDs over RL26, I have noticed that RL26 gets hot real quick once it hits 85°F. Anything under that is no problem. These loads, even when temps are cooler, still showed a hint of ejector marks on the head. But I have found Nosler and Norma to be softer than other brands, and no other signs of pressure. Once it got hot though, ejector marks were pronounced, sticky bolt lift, and slightly flattened and cratered primers showed up. Along with greatly increased velocities and a drop in accuracy. They would be fine for most of my late season hunting, but I was worried about early season in AZ.

Since the temps in my hunt area are ranging from 50-90° right now, I wanted to work up a load that was just a bit more stable. Even if that meant losing a bit of speed. So I grabbed the H1000, and threw together a load with the new ADG brass to test out. With only a couple weeks, I was hoping for decent results quickly....

ADG brass (fully fire formed)
CCI BR2
59.5gr H1000
150 SMK (.010" jump)
3114fps avg
I only fired 6 rounds. So I do not have a huge base for ES & SD, but I got an ES of 12, SD of 4.6.

Shot at 200 yards, and my 1st 3 shots produced this group. I think I am good for hunting. .298", .143 MOA. I was totally shocked.

I then let it cool, adjusted scope to new zero, and took 3 separate cool bore (not really cold bore when temps are 85-100+°) shots over the course of about 2 hours in between working on 3 other rifles. Disregard the "58.5". It is actually 59.5gr.

I think this is now my main hunting load. I am losing about 50fps from my RL26 load, but who cares with this kind of accuracy.

Lance. I had fantastic accuracy with 61.5 grains behind a 143 ELDX at 3170' in my SS It maxed out at about 3225' with H1000 and accuracy was still good, but not like the 61.5 load.

I am fine with 3114 with the 150 SMK with that type of accuracy. I will play with them after my hunt, but I am ready to go dump an antelope with too little time to do a full load workup. I will keep that in mind though. 59.5gr under the 150 SMK is still a pretty stiff load. Can't wait to get some big game in the scope and let one fly at hair other than a coyote.

I am fine with 3114 with the 150 SMK with that type of accuracy. I will play with them after my hunt, but I am ready to go dump an antelope with too little time to do a full load workup. I will keep that in mind though. 59.5gr under the 150 SMK is still a pretty stiff load. Can't wait to get some big game in the scope and let one fly at hair other than a coyote.
Lance, that's a heck of a lot of performance for just under 60 grains! I hope that bullet kills well, if it does, I might have to get me one of those.

I will hopefully have some on game performance results on big game in a few weeks. Other than coyote of course. The coyote I shot with them really disliked the 150 SMK @ 3156fps. I mean REALLY disliked them.

Some new news on the Sherman (ADG) brass. The new neck thinning punch was unsuccessful and there is no time to reorder and get the brass out like I promised, so my only option at this time is to neck turn the brass similar to the first test run. This will be a major pain for me but the brass will be good.
Some folks want to turn their own and have volunteered to do that to help speed up the process. I do not expect anyone to have to do that, but if you choose to, please let me know asap so I can package the brass accordingly for shipment.
ADG has put out a good effort to get this corrected but it is a bit of trial and error to change their saum case by a few thou, and it is more of an art than a science. Future runs of brass will be corrected as there will be time to revise the process a bit. The good news is I should have brass to ship before the end of the month......Rich

OK, so after getting all my brass fire formed, I am getting ready for an upcoming antelope hunt.

While I have a really fantastic hunting load already worked up for my 6.5SS using 150 SMKs and also 140 HVLDs over RL26, I have noticed that RL26 gets hot real quick once it hits 85°F. Anything under that is no problem. These loads, even when temps are cooler, still showed a hint of ejector marks on the head. But I have found Nosler and Norma to be softer than other brands, and no other signs of pressure. Once it got hot though, ejector marks were pronounced, sticky bolt lift, and slightly flattened and cratered primers showed up. Along with greatly increased velocities and a drop in accuracy. They would be fine for most of my late season hunting, but I was worried about early season in AZ.

Since the temps in my hunt area are ranging from 50-90° right now, I wanted to work up a load that was just a bit more stable. Even if that meant losing a bit of speed. So I grabbed the H1000, and threw together a load with the new ADG brass to test out. With only a couple weeks, I was hoping for decent results quickly....

ADG brass (fully fire formed)
CCI BR2
59.5gr H1000
150 SMK (.010" jump)
3114fps avg
I only fired 6 rounds. So I do not have a huge base for ES & SD, but I got an ES of 12, SD of 4.6.

Shot at 200 yards, and my 1st 3 shots produced this group. I think I am good for hunting. .298", .143 MOA. I was totally shocked.

I then let it cool, adjusted scope to new zero, and took 3 separate cool bore (not really cold bore when temps are 85-100+°) shots over the course of about 2 hours in between working on 3 other rifles. Disregard the "58.5". It is actually 59.5gr.

I think this is now my main hunting load. I am losing about 50fps from my RL26 load, but who cares with this kind of accuracy.

This was also my experience with Reloder 26 getting hot about the mid 80's in various cartridges.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT UPDATE

ADG called me this morning with an offer which makes a lot of sense to me! They will do a smaller run than what I was going to order for the year so I can fill all the pre orders and carry me through the next 2-3 months. During that time, they can perfect the tooling to where I won't have to turn the necks and then run some more for the remainder of the year.
What that means for now is, if anyone thinks they will need brass before about 3 months from now, you need to get the order in by next Monday (August 19).
To expedite this, go to shermanwildcatcartridges.com to put in your order.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.