Field tested my Savage 220 model

gonewest

Took my Savage 220 out over the weekend and shot at various ranges. I have had great groups with 2 3/4 rem accutips. I sighted the gun in to shoot 2" high at 100yds. Then shot at 150yds. I was hitting the bottom of the bull about 1/2" at most low. I was very happy. Then I put the target out I thought was 200yds but when I rangefinded it it turned out to be 185 yds. So I thought I would shoot. I shot 4 times and they averaged about 9" low. Great left and right just low. I was surprised I thought it would only be about 5-6" low. I found out though that if I get a shot over 165yds I will be aiming high on the deer. And off the back at 200yds. Has anyone else tried shooting theirs over150 yds?

Have you tried a faster round like hornady sst or 3" partition gold?

I haven't shot a 220 or accutips but they have been the best in a lot of other guns.

I guess you are right.

2-3/4" Hornady sst 1800
2-3/4" Rem Accutip 1850
3" Rem Accutip 1900
3" partition gold 2000

I saw a kid shoot three, three shot groups at 100 yards the otherday, and all were in the 1.25" area. Was using Remington copper slugs in a Savage
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts