Field test of "Shooter" for Androids

Yes it does, just figured out I have the weather bug widget not the weather bug app. Thanks!

These apps are good but my guess is that they do not work when you do not have a cell phone signal (correct me if I'm wrong ) . Do not rely on these apps in a field situation . I much prefer the station pressure method which does not depend on altitude so to speak but does need an accurate kestrel reading for station pressure.

You are correct and for altitude you need a gps signal. I bought a suunto watch so I have barometer and altimeter with me as well as temp and a compass, good looking watch as well. I don't have a kestrel, looks like a good idea.

I have one from Minox i just need to start using it more.

For $40 it is probably a good investment considering all the money already spent on everything else. I really like the Kestrel blue tooth idea but I did not want to spend $300... yet...:D

The caldwell gives wind and temp only. I have noticed a 1mph difference in wind readings when compared to a kesrel.

I'm getting comfortable with my droid and I bought the Shooter app, so I thought I might give this old thread a bump. Lots of good info here, and they update the app from time-to-time with new features and capabilities.

One thing I was noticing was that although they have lots of bullets in their database, they do not list the length of those bullets, even Bergers. Why? And although its something easy to measure, it seems like something that could be in the bullet database.

But other than that picky little thing, so far I like it! gun)lightbulb

-- gr8whyt

List of bullet lengths at jbm ballistics website, plus I am anal enough to double check my own lengths. Shooter worked great on my latest prairie dog hunt. Got a 1000 yard dog!

I just traded up to an Android "Inredible 2" and I have Shooter.... I am having problems setting up and understanding some of the setup questions.

Can somebody Please take the time to post and do a "Step by Step" setup, going through each of the Questions and Prompts to get the ball rolling on Shooter for me?

Also.... Is there any way to Install Exbal on the Android (Incredible 2) Phones?

Thanks.....

Russell

Here is a link to the operations manual. Operation Manual for Shooter v1.6.2.8

The last I heard, exbal was only for pocket PC, palm and home PC. Probably won't need exbal if you can learn to use shooter! JBM is free online and IMO way better. Try to figure a g7 curve on exbal:D Exbal is a good program too. It all depends on how you wish to use the software, internet availability, hardware, etc.

nheninge,

Thanks for the quick reply, i'll study the site.... I still have exbal on home pc and my pocket pc conked out... I'll get shooter going to have a couple of options out in the field.

thanks again....

I have shooter on my s4 galaxy and it has a glitch as in i dont get an option for range step size in the hud and when you go to the hud it only can be adjusted in 1 yard steps which is a pain.
my mate has the S3 and it fine in that and another mates S4 is the same as mine!
I have emailed Sean twice and no reply yet.
I would just buy Bryan Litz's one but it's the principle as i have had shooter for a couple of years now and like it.
any body else running shooter on S4 and have the same issue?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts