field shot groups

caliber

Hey Fellas, what kind of groups are you getting out of your rifles shooting prone with a bypod at 200 and 300 yards? I had been getting 5/8" groups at 100 off a shooting bench with the bypod and rear bag and at 170 laying prone groups opened up to 1in. 3 shot groups. The rifle is a savage model 10 predator hunter max 1 243. The gun has the accustock and wedge. Was just wondering how this compared to other rifles and shooters?:)

liltank

Hey Fellas, what kind of groups are you getting out of your rifles shooting prone with a bypod at 200 and 300 yards? I had been getting 5/8" groups at 100 off a shooting bench with the bypod and rear bag and at 170 laying prone groups opened up to 1in. 3 shot groups. The rifle is a savage model 10 predator hunter max 1 243. The gun has the accustock and wedge. Was just wondering how this compared to other rifles and shooters?:)

That's not a bad group. We refer to groups in MOA or minute of angle. To be 1MOA at range your group would have to measure 1.7" at 170yrds. Another example is 10"=1MOA @ 1000yrds. If you are shooting 1" at 170yrds you are shooting roughly .570 MOA. That is pretty good at that distance. You want to stay at least 1MOA or less, but a lot of us strive for .75MOA or less. This allows for much better accuracy when you get way out there. So I would say... now back it up to 300yrds and see what you get.

Tank

TMR

Official LRH Sponsor
Your still getting just over 1/2moa. Form, trigger control, grip...more factors come into view shooting on paper at longer distances. I personally don't shoot all that well off a bench. I shoot much better under field conditions....ie: bipod and rear bag. This is actually how I test accuracy in the rifles we build. Gives me a better idea of what is going to happen in the field. Here are a couple of 300yd groups:

338 Edge
groups002.jpg

6.5x47 Lapua
groups001.jpg