Field scoring Whitetail rack points

ArtC

Here in Kansas you will often see a number of bucks bouncing around in the same field. Brothers, cousins, and of course Papa. Which one should I shoot in regard to highest point score? I have been fortunate enough to have 4 in P&Y and 3 in B&C using my judging technique. I had shown it to our Wildlife and Parks score people in Wichita years ago, and they were impressed. Point score here, will be for firearm of course, so you will be wanting the 150 class or better.
Mature Whitetail here in KS, are large. I refer them as being worth 100 points "sitting in the tree stand". G1 through G5 are what we want to score, anything above that is just icing on the cake. Keep in mind for reference, a Whitetails ears are 6" long. eye to nose 8' and head 12' from front to back. Don't get wowed by the width, the difference between inside beams being 18' or 24' is only 6 points, even though the 24"er will appear much larger. Number of points, length, and mass is much more important. Only score one side, or you may lose shooting opportunity. Give length of beam 25' points.
If he has 4 tines on his beam he is a 10 pointer or better, if you can see his brow tine (g1), compare it to his ear length, half an ear is 3 points for example. When having 4 tines on beam, 25 to 30 points. If (g2) is length of head 12 points,( g3)"eye to nose" 8points, (g4) ear length 6 points. At last beam, if narrower than body 16-wide as 18- wider 20+. Mass thin-12 points, medium 14, large 16 points.
add: G's 3-12-8-6-3+ 14 mass +25 beam X 2 = 142 + spread of 18 = 160 -5%

I don't have a fancy system like the op but I do have lots of experience with whitetails. I will say that deer is definitely better than 140-150. Good width, great g1's, g2's, and g3's. I say 155-160, gross.

I don't have a fancy system like the op but I do have lots of experience with whitetails. I will say that deer is definitely better than 140-150. Good width, great g1's, g2's, and g3's. I say 155-160, gross.
Cool, thanks, i was guessing kinda low because i didnt want to get my hopes up too high :D.

When a hunter wants to field score a buck, I figure its to pick the biggest one of many. When only shown one, I figure he would like to see if it would make the book; P&Y or B&C. Since the single buck shown is( typical) gross means nothing, net is what will get this buck in or out of the B&C book. If bow yes, if highpower, no.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts