Fiberglass stock flexing upwards

If it has 3/16"-1/4" of space, it will be fine. It won't flex that much to touch during firing. I'd bed it to your action first. If you're pushing down on a bipod that much to make it touch, you need shooting lessons.

If it has 3/16"-1/4" of space, it will be fine. It won't flex that much to touch during firing. I'd bed it to your action first. If you're pushing down on a bipod that much to make it touch, you need shooting lessons.
I don't have a bipod on it, I think that was just a suggestion from other posters. My concern came mostly from being able to close that gap between forend and barrel by gripping with one hand not during shooting.

With that much clearance, and if the barrel is centered in the channel, it will be fine.........it's not a steel "I" beam....it's a fiberglass stock. If it's resting on sand bags under its own weight, and you still have that clearance, it will be fine. Bed it and shoot it. If it was tupperware, then that might be different.

With that much clearance, and if the barrel is centered in the channel, it will be fine.........it's not a steel "I" beam....it's a fiberglass stock. if it's resting on sand bags under its own weight, and you still have that clearance, it will be fine. Bed it and shoot it. If it was tupperware, then that might be different.
So it should be fine? I was leaning towards that but previous replies were more concerned. I wonder if I miscommunicated something which led to other users' concerns?

I would bet so. It sounds like you have plenty of clearance. Try it and find out. My bench gun has a McMillan Tooley MBR stock, With a 3" wide by 2" tall fore end, with 1/16" clearance and a 28" #7 HV barrel. I can make it touch easily by squeezing it.
It aggs in the low to mid .2's. You'll be fine as far as the stock goes. I promise. But bed it first.

Attachments

• Bench Rifle 004.jpg
    Bench Rifle 004.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
You can set it up the way you would on a pair of range bags on the kitchen table, get comfy behind the gun and have someone take a picture for you. If the stock doesn't touch the barrel then the FREE FLOATING is working just fine.

Me? If a folded dollar slides under it without touching - shoot it & enjoy.
My last McMillan stock with pillars I was told to torque to 40 inch pounds. Which I did but it caused for the action to flex with the bolt to bind. This is on a Sako AV long action. I was told to reduce the torque to where the bolt wouldn't bind down around 28 inch pounds. They said as long as it was around 22 inch pounds there is enough to hold the barreled action?? I'm just going to have it bedded. Kind of disappointing with the price of the stock for the composite. When I got to the stock the front pillar appeared to be ground down with a drill bit to make it flush with the stock? If I order another from them I will be sure to get all information on pillar installation.

My last McMillan stock with pillars I was told to torque to 40 inch pounds. Which I did but it caused for the action to flex with the bolt to bind. This is on a Sako AV long action. I was told to reduce the torque to where the bolt wouldn't bind down around 28 inch pounds. They said as long as it was around 22 inch pounds there is enough to hold the barreled action?? I'm just going to have it bedded. Kind of disappointing with the price of the stock for the composite. When I got to the stock the front pillar appeared to be ground down with a drill bit to make it flush with the stock? If I order another from them I will be sure to get all information on pillar installation.
Every action is different. There is only 1 way to get a perfect bedding job......that is to actually bed it. There isn't a stock maker or gunsmith alive that can give you as perfect of a fit as you can get by doing a proper bedding job to the exact action that will live in the stock......especially if they don't have the action in hand to fit it to.

Yes, I agree. But then I didn't need the pillars. Before pillars Gale offered what was called drop in stocks when we spoke at the Shot 30 years ago or so he stated that to get it bedded so I did with the stocks back in the day and I get when the moons align sub .5 on my old school 280 ai 40*. Jarret called them beanfield rigs back then. Time flies when your having fun.

Even with pillars you should bed. The pillars are there to keep the fiberglass from compressing over time. By themselves, they don't allow 100% contact to the stock without bedding.