Fiberglass stock flexing upwards

sidetoss20

Hi all,

New to the long range game. I recently purchased an old R700 and swapped out the old stock for a McMillan. After installing (no bedding) I notice that the forend of the stock has significant upward flexing towards the barrel. I am not sure if this means the barrel channel is too large or if it has any effect at all, but I thought I would ask here to see if anyone knows if it does have an effect.

Thanks

Hi all,

New to the long range game. I recently purchased an old R700 and swapped out the old stock for a McMillan. After installing (no bedding) I notice that the forend of the stock has significant upward flexing towards the barrel. I am not sure if this means the barrel channel is too large or if it has any effect at all, but I thought I would ask here to see if anyone knows if it does have an effect.

Thanks
McMillan has a great reputation for well made stocks. If it slaps the barrel when fired, yes it could affect accuracy, especially on a bipod. As long as the barrel channel of the stock matches the contour of the barrel (this stock is designed for), I doubt it will affect it. All stocks will flex somewhat. Go shoot it and see how it does off a bipod.

What model McMillan??? How much FLEX???
Like Bob mentioned that all stocks have some flex but to what degree. Flex like .01s" of an inch, or 0.10s"
McMillan will defiantly stand behind their products depending on the age-new/used.

McMillan has a great reputation for well made stocks. If it slaps the barrel when fired, yes it could affect accuracy, especially on a bipod. As long as the barrel channel of the stock matches the contour of the barrel (this stock is designed for), I doubt it will affect it. All stocks will flex somewhat. Go shoot it and see how it does off a bipod.
It's a used McMillan and my rifle has a heavy varmint barrel - which if my understanding is correct, is one of the larger contours. Since the barrel fit no problem I assume it's the right channel. The previous owner said it was varmint contour.

What model McMillan??? How much FLEX???
Like Bob mentioned that all stocks have some flex but to what degree. Flex like .01s" of an inch, or 0.10s"
McMillan will defiantly stand behind their products depending on the age-new/used.
McMillan HTG.
There's maybe a quarter inch of space between the channel at the front end of the stock and the barrel, and I can make the forend touch the bottom of the barrel with a firm grip.

McMillan HTG.
There's maybe a quarter inch of space between the channel at the front end of the stock and the barrel, and I can make the forend touch the bottom of the barrel with a firm grip.
Thats not too good, but if it doesn't move while shooting or on a rest maybe ok. Depends on how much is a FIRM Grip. I would contact McMillan on Monday. They are pretty busy so they usually just take a message and call you back later. Make sure you have caller Id and answer when they return you call (we get a lot of robo calls and don't answer the phone unless we see the ID.). Great people to work with at McMillan.

Thats not good. I would contact McMillan on Monday. They are pretty busy so they usually just take a message and call you back later. Make sure you have caller Id and answer when they return you call (we get a lot of robo calls and don't answer the phone unless we see the ID.). Great people to work with at McMillan.
Should it be more rigid, or what about what I described makes you think "not good"?

Should it be more rigid, or what about what I described makes you think "not good"?
You may have a GRIP like Samson or Hercules. I still think that 1/4" is a lot of flex. "Not Good" meaning extreme flex. I would contact McMIllan.
We had a synthetic stock on one of our Winchester Model 70 Shadow that had flex like that. Winchester put a new stock on it.

You may have a GRIP like Samson or Hercules. I still think that 1/4" is a lot of flex. "Not Good" meaning extreme flex. I would contact McMIllan.
We had a synthetic stock on one of our Winchester Model 70 Shadow that had flex like that. Winchester put a new stock on it.
Got it, thanks.

If it were my problem to figure out...
I would...
Put an "0" ring around barrel sized to put slight pressure between stock and barrel when torqued as unit...
OMHO...
from experience...

1/4" is a lot.of gap.might want to check that. From experience, if you put a bipod on the rifle and place it on a firm surface and push down with 5 to 10 lbs of pressure on the back of the stock amd on the end of the barrel, if the barel doesn't touch the stock, then it won't likely touch the stock under recoil either. If it does t touch the stock, then it really isn't a problem.

1/4" is a lot.of gap.might want to check that. From experience, if you put a bipod on the rifle and place it on a firm surface and push down with 5 to 10 lbs of pressure on the back of the stock amd on the end of the barrel, if the barel doesn't touch the stock, then it won't likely touch the stock under recoil either. If it does t touch the stock, then it really isn't a problem.
I was just eyeballing it but I will try getting a better measurement.

If it were my problem to figure out...
I would...
Put an "0" ring around barrel sized to put slight pressure between stock and barrel when torqued as unit...
OMHO...
from experience...
I will give this a shot if it gives problems when shooting. Thanks for the tip.

Hi all,

Thanks
Me? If a folded dollar slides under it without touching - shoot it & enjoy.