FFP

Ycreek

I promise I'm not trying to open a can of worms but if I want to "dial" my shots, do I really need a FFP scope? I understand that the windage subtentions would only be correct at max power but is there an advantage to FFP, other than that? Thanks.

I dial in my shots and only use SFP. If you are going to dial the wind too all you really are going to use is the cross hair center. If you wish to size up antlers or a spread with SFP just range it, crank to high power and do the math.

If you run out of elevation in your scope and the added moa of the reticle is still not enough, turn the SFP to the 1/2 way point on you power ring and now you will have double the hold over in moa as your reticle does on highest power. Can't do that with a FFP.

Jeff

I dial in my shots and only use SFP. There if you are going to dial the wind too all you really are going to use is the cross hair center. If you wish to size up antlers or a spread with SFP just range it, crank to high power and do the math.

If you run out of elevation in your scope and the added moa of the reticle is still not enough, turn the SFP to the 1/2 way point on you power ring and now you will have double the hold over in moa as your reticle does on highest power. Can't do that with a FFP.

Jeff

Jeff,

Interesting point about the advantage of SFP vs. FFP for increasing elevation.

My scope has 30 mil adjustment and 10 mil in reticle.Add that up.The reticle will get me to over 1200 yrds. alone,for holds.Top power for dial is too much at times, I find.

I promise I'm not trying to open a can of worms but if I want to "dial" my shots, do I really need a FFP scope? I understand that the windage subtentions would only be correct at max power but is there an advantage to FFP, other than that? Thanks.

If you simply want to dial the scope what Broz says is right on. A simple clean Duplex cross hair is all you need. This is what I have been doing for the last 5 years with good success but am leaning towards a new Vortex HS FFP scope as I have concluded from my experiences the option of a quick holdover would be beneficial with my style of hunting and the kind of terrain.

With a Front Focal Plane scope the sub tensions are correct on all powers were as with the Second Focal Plane scope they are only accurate at full power or like Broz says middle power and do the math.

Your hunting style and terrain really will tell you what the best option of scope type would be for you. I hunt mainly between 4500-6000 feet big open south facing slopes and heavy timbered north slopes. A bull can be 100 yards or 450 yards in the timber moving or across the canyon at 800-1000 yard. You range the moving bull at 450 yards and a quick glance at the drop chart gives you the come up. With a FFP scope you can simply hold over even with the scope setting on its lowest power as it would be if you were in the timber or if time permits you can dial the come ups. With a SFP scope you would have to crank the scope to full power to use the hold over if in a hurry.

Unless you practice a lot and really have your rifle wired anything over 450-500 yards should be dialed in my opinion but it is not a hard fast rule. Your skill level determines the choices. You can make it as complicated or as simple as you want. I like the "KISS" technique personally.

I would not agree that all that is needed is a duplex. I do use hold over for follow up practice shooting rocks. Doesn't really matter what power I am on either with my SFP spotting my own shots. I simply and quickly move the crosshairs to the point of impact and look at the correction needed to be center mass. Then hold over that much and send the follow up. I don't need to know if it is 1 moa or 2 moa, all I need to see is the difference to hold to correct. If I am spotting for someone else then yes I need to be on highest power and I will call out the correction in moa. If the shooter is dialing the correction he can be on any power, if he is going to hold from my call in moa he too needs to be on full power. I have my NXS on 22x almost all the time unless I am in the timber. Shots there are usually point blank and if game is on eth move past point blank I doubt I would take that shot anyway. Another option I have been using on a few rifles I set up lately is a turret I number out to 600 yards but you can still see the moa graduations too. Range it dial and shoot out to 600. Take the time and calculate after that. Plenty fast enough for me and the last few coyotes that were under 400 didn't seem to mind waiting.

So back to the OP's original question,

"I want to "dial" my shots, do I really need a FFP scope? I understand that the windage subtentions would only be correct at max power but is there an advantage to FFP, other than that? "

I guess so far the answer is no. Unless I am missing something.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts