FFP vs SFP

the key difference here is that SFP works on one magnification. So with a 4-20x, you may end up trying to shoot a 400yd shot on 20x in high mirage.

With FFP, you could shoot that at 10x still using the reticle.

the other option is getting a 3-12 SFP knowing that 12x is a big stretch at 1000 yds.
In your example, if you were using 1MOA reticle subtended at 20X with a SFP, you can set your magnification to 10X, and still use your reticle. 1MOA would be at 2MOA. As stated in a previous post, I routinely keep my 5x20x scope at 10X and use this approach with excellent results.

My big concern is that with an FFP scope or even a SFP turret dial scope is sometimes you wont have enough time to dial and get the shot off. With a SFP and BDC type reticle I have already shot and verified distances before and have no need to even dial just shoulder and fire, if that makes sense.

The same is true with FFP. Below is a reticle off (courtesy of Strelok Pro) my Burris Veracity 4-20 and I have confirmed actual drop to 652 yards.

Ballistic E1 FFP, 4-20x, Burris.png

Ranged this coyote at 525 yards, using the 3rd tic line, and the result ...

1 of 2 coyote.jpg

2 of 2 coyote.jpg

(Rifle: Savage 111F LA, 270 AI, 30" Lilja 1:8", 3G, #6, Beenie Cooley MB, topped with Burris Veracity on top of 20 MOA EGW HD rail propelling 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS).

My point is, do not complicate your decision-making unnecessarily, this is not going to be your last. I used SFP for nearly 40 years before I tried FFP and did not have a problem transitioning from SFP to FFP and vice versa. Today, my personal preference is FFP for my intended purpose.

Good luck.

Ed

I'm down to 1 sfp on my 760 pump I use to track whitetails in the snow. Grew up with a fine crosshair 2.5 so 2.5and up ffp isn't an issue. The bdc is the same on a ffp no matter what power you use. If you look at the DTR reticle from David tubb watch his baboon hunting shot mostly on 8x. He has the ballistics program to make it work for anything you shoot cartridge wise!

While I use both I would pick an FFP scope for a hunting rifle once I verify low magnification reticle visibility. In field conditions range w/o finder or because of lack of time to use subtensions, FFP simplifies the process. Any power and you are ready. And I think the manufacturers at the high end are putting the best coatings on the FFP glass as a priority... reticle at low power is the game changer for me.

I'm an all ranges hunter, and my time is very valuable to me. When I hunt, I aim to be as lethal as possible. I don't award myself prowess points for doing it the hardest ways that I can. I do not take pleasure in wonderful woodland stories of the one that got away. I am there to kill an animal, however and whenever that opportunity presents itself. Yes, I enjoy the hunt, and take satisfaction in winning the game between predator and prey. But, I hunt with this mindset. My sight's job is to make sure my POA is correct.

For that reason I'm a FFP convert. The aspect that drew me to FFP, is the utility. I dial elevation and hold wind (because wind changes, a lot), so wind holds being the same regardless of magnification is a huge plus. When there isn't time or necessity to dial elevation, fixed elevation dimensions are key as well. With this system you have a ruler in front of your face that is the exact same size every time. Change DA because you're hunting in CO? Print a new dope card, the ruler stays the same. Change rifles or cartridges? Light conditions won't let you use max power? One coyote hangs up at 600, the other comes to 100? The system adapts universally.

BDC is a limited system. Operate within those limits and they work great. In the right circumstances, BDC might even be a touch faster than a mil/MOA reticle. As soon as you change those circumstances, the limitations become apparent. SFP is also a limited system. You have two magnification settings for an 800yd shot. And one of those requires extra math and you had to find it for yourself. I don't want a variable power scope with that limitation.

For me, the question comes down to what I'm going to invest in. I want to invest in the system that has the most terminal upside.

I'm an all ranges hunter, and my time is very valuable to me. When I hunt, I aim to be as lethal as possible. I don't award myself prowess points for doing it the hardest ways that I can. I do not take pleasure in wonderful woodland stories of the one that got away. I am there to kill an animal, however and whenever that opportunity presents itself. Yes, I enjoy the hunt, and take satisfaction in winning the game between predator and prey. But, I hunt with this mindset. My sight's job is to make sure my POA is correct.

For that reason I'm a FFP convert. The aspect that drew me to FFP, is the utility. I dial elevation and hold wind (because wind changes, a lot), so wind holds being the same regardless of magnification is a huge plus. When there isn't time or necessity to dial elevation, fixed elevation dimensions are key as well. With this system you have a ruler in front of your face that is the exact same size every time. Change DA because you're hunting in CO? Print a new dope card, the ruler stays the same. Change rifles or cartridges? Light conditions won't let you use max power? One coyote hangs up at 600, the other comes to 100? The system adapts universally.

BDC is a limited system. Operate within those limits and they work great. In the right circumstances, BDC might even be a touch faster than a mil/MOA reticle. As soon as you change those circumstances, the limitations become apparent. SFP is also a limited system. You have two magnification settings for an 800yd shot. And one of those requires extra math and you had to find it for yourself. I don't want a variable power scope with that limitation.

For me, the question comes down to what I'm going to invest in. I want to invest in the system that has the most terminal upside.
What's your choice of FFP scope?

What's your choice of FFP scope?
I haven't found anything better than the 3-12 LRHS (the 4.5-18 is good too). I'm about to try my first 3-12 LRTS. I don't like FFP hunting scopes with greater than 4x erector ratios (5x maybe, but I haven't seen it). It's an unnecessary complication, that far too many have gotten wrong. I'd love a 4-16x42 AMG that's pretty close to 20ozs, but that's not happening anytime soon. If a 5-6x reticle is designed to work well across the whole mag range, I'll give it a whirl. But until that day comes...
The problem is the limited offerings. (I don't want a 30oz hunting scope, either) Brands don't think hunters want them, and to some degree, I get it. But OTOH, lots of guys have been waiting on better FFP hunting scopes. With better designs, I think many more hunters would be crossing over. Most that do, don't go back.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts