FFP vs SFP

I prefer FFP, but only if the reticle thickness is fine enough for max power, and has illumination. If the scope has 4X-6X zoom range, it's impossible to get a "baby bear's soup" sized reticle. If it's easily visible at the low end, it's too fat at the high end, and vice versa.

I find that illumination all but eliminates this issue. By turning the light on, you can EASILY see the reticle at low mag, and use it as a "red dot" with both eyes open for close work. You don't even really have to zoom out. Just use your off eye to see target, and scope eye to see reticle. Basically like shooting a shotgun.

Regardless, it's important to get an idea of the reticle size before purchasing. I have an Athlon Ares 2.5-15 FFP, and it's a great scope, but the reticle is seriously obese at 15X. Conversely, a buddy had a FFP Vortex 2.5-10X and it's reticle was so fine, it was almost hard to see at 10X. It had no illumination either, and he eventually sold it due to the difficulty picking up the reticle.

Check out SWFA 3x15 FFP they have a very nice Reticle at 3 or 15 and there Black friday sales can be had for 399 to 499
bought 1 2 years ago Black Friday at 499 and this past year 399

Sfp on my hunting scopes & (lpvo). Ffp for tactical scopes and prs. Ffp also where a range finder may not be practical or available. 16x is my biggest mag for hunting deer or larger game. Plenty for 1000 yard shot if you feel comfortable at that range. 2x ffp in low light at 30 yards.....not ideal. Ffp Scopes whose illumination work well in these situations are not inexpensive. No problem with having both. Lastly I think great glass is more important than all the other bells and whistles.

For long range hunting work I find FFP much quicker and simpler because there sometimes isn't always a lot of time available in which to take a shot. Memorised reference points for elevation and windage on the reticle can be used irrespective of power.
I find SFP work best at shorter ranges when using a simple duplex or such like reticle.

Other Than tired eyes and I am getting there. FFP is the Best. And yes some manufactures Can over do it one way or the other. Check SWFA out for FFP reticle Not to small at the minimum and not to large at the top.
And seriously at the bottom end you should be able to center through the heavy duplex on the sides at 20 yards to 100 yards.
That is unless you got kicked by a MULE. Just kidding but any time I need 3 power I can center with the Heavies. Otherwise I should Practice more

If I spend a bunch of money for say a 2.5 - 20, I want to be able to use all the powers and not just 60-70% of the reticle because it is too small on the bottom end or too thick on the top end.

SFP for me.

It took me almost 10 years of LR hunting before making the switch to FFP, and it was the best decision I've made.
with modern reticles like the PR1 moa in the MK5 or the EBR7-b in the Razor AMG there's a .2 moa floating center dot that will never cover up a target.
Low power/low light reticle issues have never been a problem for me despite what I'd read for years.

It's this simple....there are 3 ways to use a riflescope

SFP BDC Reticle - LESS than max used for walking around or shooting within max PBR. Max power for shooting with and without BDC. This really works for a lot of big game hunting because you can shoot 300 - 600 yds pretty well on 12-16x max power.

SFP turret twister - This is usually a duplex or simple reticle and good uncapped turrets. This can work in a lot of situations, but do you have time/clear mind to dial?

FFP Reticle - Same as BDC, but the reticle can work on any magnification. Basically, you can have a 24x max, but dial down the power to 16x or so and still use the reticle. Really a good choice.

there is also FFP & turret twisting in one optic. It is more flexible, but basically same function as last 2 combined. The negative is this is a lot of features so, the scopes start around 2lbs....and get heavier. Do you put a 2.5 lb optic on a 6-7lb walking around stick? I do not.

Other Than tired eyes and I am getting there. FFP is the Best. And yes some manufactures Can over do it one way or the other. Check SWFA out for FFP reticle Not to small at the minimum and not to large at the top.
And seriously at the bottom end you should be able to center through the heavy duplex on the sides at 20 yards to 100 yards.
That is unless you got kicked by a MULE. Just kidding but any time I need 3 power I can center with the Heavies. Otherwise I should Practice more
I said the same thing earlier FFP in low light conditions, Center the heavies and its a no brainer as long as i do my part

I own and have used both FFP and SFP for hunting and competition. As stated in the prior posts(and countless threads over the years), each design has its advantages and disadvantages, and choice comes down to personal preference. I haven't missed, or had to forego a shot while hunting because I was using one or the other regardless of the distance or lighting conditions given comparable quality and specs. I personally prefer an SFP for all my hunting, and, find the FFP a necessity for fast action competition(ie.PRS ). Ten shot stages in 90 seconds at targets from 200 to 1000 yards(many times using reticle only), is where the FFP comes into its own. For all forms of hunting, I personally prefer a consistent reticle substension, and place far more priority on glass quality and mechanical performance. All things being equal, an FFP can cost as much as 25% more then the comparable SFP. My personal choice is to put that difference in cost elsewhere, or, into a better quality SFP.

Thanks for the responses, looks like I will have to do some research and come to a conclusion on which way to go. Part of me says SFP cause I've used one for 20 years and seemed to do fine with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.