FFP & SFP scopes?

joseph

FFP & SFP scopes?
I have read that variable second focal plane (SFP) scopes have to be adjusted to a certain magnification to range a target correctly. Also the thickness of the reticule stays the same thickness at all magnifications.

The variable first focal plane (FFP) scopes can range at all magnifications, but the reticule gets thicker as the magnification increases as the power increases. If the target increases in size along with the reticule isn't thickness relative to the size of the target so it really doesn't matter.

Am I correct or not in my thinking? Please let me know one way or the other.

"Aim small miss small", :D

joseph

Last edited:
Yes, you've got the basics covered.

Think about it in the other direction. In a SFP scope as the magnification increases the relative size of the reticule gets smaller. That can be a good thing at high magnification and long ranges.

If you have a SFP scope and are aiming at a small target that is just covered by the reticule, you can increase the magnification and make the target larger in relation to the reticule. If you have a FFP scope the target will be covered no matter what you set the magnification to.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.