FFP or SFP Please vote

JDJHNTR

Buying a new LRH scope and can't decide. I know it is subjective but which do prefer. I wil be dialing for elevation but probably not for windage. I really could use some experiences input here guys as I am looking to buy a scope now. Thank you for your help.

I prefer SFP. No real good reason, just what I've always used. I guess one thing is, that with SFP, if the crosshair takes up too much of the target at lower power, I can crank up the power to get around that.

Also, I learn the subtensions at different magnification levels, so it's not hard to figure out holds for wind.

SFP only for me. I prefer the crosshairs staying consistently small as I increase the power. This gives me the smallest aiming point with the largest target for a precise hold at longer distances. I dial both elevation and windage. The only time I would use a reticle for a hold over would be for a follow up shot and by seeing the miss I would know exactly where to hold for the follow up. I have tried both and I am now firmly satisfied with SFP.

Jeff

It is very subjective and the reality is that 90% of guys haven't used both so they really don't have much experience to compare them properly. I use both but for big game I like FFP scopes.

The more you use a reticle for any reason, drop, drift, range, calling shots, etc., the more you will like FFP scopes. FFP also eliminates the potential for error as the reticle subtends the same across the entire magnification range. If you don't use the reticle the advantages lessen.

Just an FYI, because you will hear a lot of misinformation on FFP, despite what many say the reticle does not grow in size as you increase power. It stays exactly the same size in relation to the target throughout the entire magnification range. So if it is precise enough at low power it will be just as precise at high power. It is more accurate to say that with SFP scopes the target grows in relationship to the reticle as power is increased.

*I like using the reticle
*I like reducing the chance for error
*I find a reticle that covers 2% of the vitals of a typical whitetail to be more than precise enough to ensure proper shot placement.

Practice is the key for either options so get one that best suits your needs then get out and use it!

Scot E.

Buying a new LRH scope and can't decide. I know it is subjective but which do prefer. I wil be dialing for elevation but probably not for windage. I really could use some experiences input here guys as I am looking to buy a scope now. Thank you for your help.

If you are not going to dial wind take a look at the Vortex Viper HS LR. Vortex got really smart and built a scope that's really functional for the hunter that hand carries the rifle a lot or uses the rifle horseback where it sits in a scabbard by just capping the windage turret so it's not poking you in the wrist and hanging up when putting in or taking it out of a scabbard. You can just hold off for wind adjustment with the proper reticle.

They come in both FFP and SFP your choice. The FFP's with the XLR reticle are not out yet but received a email saying they would be available 4-6 weeks. I think it's the perfect scope for the way I hunt and will get one when available. This will be my first FFP scope so I can't recommend to you which is best.

Here's a link
Vortex Optics - Viper HS Riflescopes

If you are not going to dial wind take a look at the Vortex Viper HS LR. Vortex got really smart and built a scope that's really functional for the hunter that hand carries the rifle a lot or uses the rifle horseback where it sits in a scabbard by just capping the windage turret so it's not poking you in the wrist and hanging up when putting in or taking it out of a scabbard. You can just hold off for wind adjustment with the proper reticle.

They come in both FFP and SFP your choice. The FFP's with the XLR reticle are not out yet but received a email saying they would be available 4-6 weeks. I think it's the perfect scope for the way I hunt and will get one when available. This will be my first FFP scope so I can't recommend to you which is best.

Here's a link
Vortex Optics - Viper HS Riflescopes
I agree, that is going to be a nice scope. I however can't for the life of me figure out why they went with 1/2 MOA turrets for a LR rig.

Scot E.

I agree, that is going to be a nice scope. I however can't for the life of me figure out why they went with 1/2 MOA turrets for a LR rig.

Scot E.

Yeah the 1/2 MOA thing bugged the crap out of me to start but the more I thought about it the less it mattered. At a thousand yards you're talking 5 inches +-. A bull elk has a 10 inch kill zone so with accurate shot placement you're in it. I use a 06 for elk and deer hunting and have a self imposed limit on deer of 700 yards so the possible 3.5 inch error really does not matter to me.

I don't know what the engineering crew at Vortex were after but if it was designed specifically for the hunter I think they got it right....will see!

I think beyond a 1000 yards for a hunting scope there are better choices.

I have used scopes with .5 moa turrets. They are quick to dial and typically have more MOA per revolution . I like them within their limits and I too would agree for me that would be 700 yards before you would start to suffer shot placement. This is just another thing that is dependent on the max distance you will be shooting. For that antelope I took a few weeks back at 1285 yards I would not have wanted .5 moa turrets or a FFP. Take a FFP and try putting the crosshairs on that corner of white behind the shoulder at 1300 yards, then do it again with a fine crosshair SFP. It does make a difference and the farther you go out the more it will come into play. Like Scott has said before, he prefers the SFP for varmints. His reason is the same I prefer SFP for all long range shots. Precise placement.

Jeff

Second focal all the way, with a FFP on low power in low light I have to turn on the reticle light to find it then during good light and I want turn up the magnification the reticle is thick compared to what I want it to be, FFP is completely backward for the me in a hunting situation.
I've also found with holding over or holding of with windage the SFP is much more versatile if you do a little research, my scope right now has the substentions marked on the power ring so I can look at what I need to hold over and if I'm not on a hash mark I can turn it down till it matches very close and let it have it. I can also get more direct hold point if I us two different powers.

I really dig my Vortex HS LR, with my 270 WSM at 7000ft elevation I'm one turn to 1100 yards and I can reach 2000 yards dialing but you have to start being aware of needing to adjust your hold just a bit at some point. For a hunting optic for the average hunter who has extended his hunting range out to 800-1000 yards max it seems ideal to me!

Second focal all the way, with a FFP on low power in low light I have to turn on the reticle light to find it then during good light and I want turn up the magnification the reticle is thick compared to what I want it to be, FFP is completely backward for the me in a hunting situation.
I've also found with holding over or holding of with windage the SFP is much more versatile if you do a little research, my scope right now has the substentions marked on the power ring so I can look at what I need to hold over and if I'm not on a hash mark I can turn it down till it matches very close and let it have it. I can also get more direct hold point if I us two different powers.

I really dig my Vortex HS LR, with my 270 WSM at 7000ft elevation I'm one turn to 1100 yards and I can reach 2000 yards dialing but you have to start being aware of needing to adjust your hold just a bit at some point. For a hunting optic for the average hunter who has extended his hunting range out to 800-1000 yards max it seems ideal to me!

I apologize to the OP for kinda high jacking this thread but he may find this stuff of interest also.

OK had a email conversation with Vortex about the thickness of the cross hair used in the HS-LR FFP XTR reticle and how thick it would be on 16 power and how much of the target it would cover at a 1000 yards.

The cross hair is .15 MOA at 100 yards so at 1000 yards it would cover 1.5708 inches of a target. These are Vortex's numbers. On deer and elk size targets I can't see a problem. If you were shooting paper and wanted a consistent hold it would be too heavy.

bigngreen in your opinion as you have the HS and have looked through the FFP scope is the cross hair to "thin" on the low powers? It would be somewhere between a 1/8" and 3/16" at 100 yards. Or is it just hard to see?

i like the advantages of SFP but in a lot of circumstances ffp would be great. my use with ffp is limited but for the added cost of ffp im sticking with sfp. its good stuff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.