FFL Required???

rangerman

I am sending my new Remington Sendero to friend in another state to have a muzzle brake installed. Is it necessary to send it from my FFL to the designated FFL of the gentleman doing the work for me? I'm certain a FFL should be used if the gun is being sold to someone but have been told that it is not necessary when sending it in for repair work. I'm thinking about using the FFL just to be on the safe side but won't if I hear different.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Brian

I'm sure it is how you interpret the laws, but I think you can ship your weapon to a repair facility and receive it back from them without an FFL.

If you are sending it to a licensed firearm manufacturer, 07 ffl, then you can send it straight to him and he can send it back to your house.

If he isnt a class 7 ffl holder, not required to do gunsmithing at least in texas, then it must be a ffl to ffl transfer.

You can also send to a Licensed Dealer, Class 1 FFL. This is the Class of most gunsmiths who are not manufacturers.

You have to send it directly to a FFL, they can send it straight back to you.

You don't need an FFL on your end.

I sent a rifle to Alabama via USPS. Postal regs ask for a copy of destination FFL and package must deliver to a FFL there. From what I've read, regs vary between states. California is a tough one and may have changed with recent legislation.

Anytime it crosses state lines it requires a FFL unless you are sending it to yourself for a hunt/shoot/etc. and then your the only one that can open it.

Really? For some reason i thought that was limited to mfg's.

Yes, here's the US Code.

18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5)

(a) It shall be unlawful—
(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

Well since I live in KY and am needing to send it to WV it looks like I will have to use an FFL or either just hand deliver it myself.
Thanks to all!

You can send it directly to the FFL holder doing the work and he can send it directly back to you. You just can't send it to a non-FFL person across state lines.

You can send it directly to the FFL holder doing the work and he can send it directly back to you. You just can't send it to a non-FFL person across state lines.

Yes, this exactly.

The person doing the work should be a gunsmith with a FFL (Type 1 or 7).

You can send it directly to him. He can send it directly back to you.

Very simple. Very easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.