FFL Mixup with online purchase.

GunHawk

New Year's Eve I bought a shotgun on Gunbroker, but unfortunately the gun was shipped to the wrong FFL dealer. Apparently, in our city we have 2 FFL dealers with very similar names: A****** Firearms LLC, and A****** Arms Inc (the correct one). The FFL dealer who received the gun is charging a $149 wrong dealer re-stocking fee, because they "have to enter it on the books" (?), plus $50 shipping to the correct retail FFL dealer. I asked if I could just pick it up from them directly but they say they are wholesale only and they don't do any face-to-face transaction. I feel like it is a complete hustle to make a quick buck. He says that it happens somewhat regularly because of the name so I guess he has figured out how to turn it to his advantage.
Do any of you know how the process works, and if he can keep the gun if I don't pay the $200 ransom fee?

Tell the shipper it was sent to the wrong address, the "wrong ffl" can't keep a gun that's not his-- this should be between the shipper and "wrong ffl" , unless you chose the "wrong ffl", then you'll either have to pay the "wrong ffl" fees or discuss your options with the seller/shipping party to see what he can do about it.

I have seen a similar issue locally where someone shipped a firearm to a local ffl without notification, the local ffl called the atf and declared it a "stolen firearm" and turned it over to the atf --- I'm not sure what the proper way to do this would be--- maybe members on here with an ffl license can help you out with their knowledge

Unless their ffl name is on the package I don't believe they can keep it. Had a similar situation happen to me back in September. The shipper mistyped the address just a little bit . And ups refused to let my ffl have it until it was clarified

Sounds like a SCAM to me. The name and address of the FFL is on the license that they ship the gun to. Me personally, I would cancel the transaction!!!

Sounds like a SCAM to me. The name and address of the FFL is on the license that they ship the gun to. Me personally, I would cancel the transaction!!!
THIS ^^^
When I ship to another FFL it is 100% on me to get it right. I know mistakes happen, but when dealing in firearms you'd think people would take more care into what they are doing. It's on the shipper. The wrong FFL isn't doing you any favors either, hence the SCAM.....

Did you give the seller the wrong FFL name and address? If it was me and I did that, I think I would pay the requested amount and chalk that up as a lesson learned. I have had more expensive lessons than that. 😀

Bummer.
Hope the rest of the year goes better for you!
Let us know how it's resolved?

THIS ^^^
When I ship to another FFL it is 100% on me to get it right. I know mistakes happen, but when dealing in firearms you'd think people would take more care into what they are doing. It's on the shipper. The wrong FFL isn't doing you any favors either, hence the SCAM.....
I think it is likely that I chose the wrong FFL while using the Gunbroker menu. The name is almost the same and it didn't occur to me that 2 firearms dealers could have the same name in the same area. It looks more and more like I'll have to grit my teeth, bend over, and take the kick in the pants.
I just don't see why he has to charge $149. I was hoping an FFL dealer could tell me why.

I think it is likely that I chose the wrong FFL while using the Gunbroker menu. The name is almost the same and it didn't occur to me that 2 firearms dealers could have the same name in the same area. It looks more and more like I'll have to grit my teeth, bend over, and take the kick in the pants.
I just don't see why he has to charge $149. I was hoping an FFL dealer could tell me why.
I have a FFL, he doesn't have to. It's his choice. It you entered the wrong FFL, then I guess it is your bad. That sucks. Hopefully it's something exciting and not a More Creed! Sorry, had to do it. 😛 . Full disclosure, I have 2. They slipped into the line up when I wasn't looking...

I have a FFL, he doesn't have to. It's his choice. It you entered the wrong FFL, then I guess it is your bad. That sucks. Hopefully it's something exciting and not a More Creed! Sorry, had to do it. 😛 . Full disclosure, I have 2. They slipped into the line up when I wasn't looking...
Spanish made SxS 20GA.

Well, if you chose the wrong FFL during checkout then unfortunately, youll probably have to pay the ransom. It does suck that they are charging so much. I could see a normal transfer fee of $20-$50 and shipping fees.

I could see reporting his name and fees clearly on a local gun forum, Facebook, rip-off group on Facebook. That way people could run across that story in your area when searching his shop name. Always helps to know what kind of horse's *** you're dealing with before the deal.

I could see reporting his name and fees clearly on a local gun forum, Facebook, rip-off group on Facebook. That way people could run across that story in your area when searching his shop name. Always helps to know what kind of horse's *** you're dealing with before the deal.
They don't sell to the public so shaming them won't make any difference. Thanks to all of you for the information.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.