Few questions about the 6.5x55 swede

remingtonman_25_06

I just have a few questions on the 6.5x55 and the CZ line of rifles. You dont hear to much about this cartridge. I was looking at a CZ 550. It has a 25.5" bbl and set trigger. Does anyone know how long the magazine is, and if you would be able to use 140g amax or vld as a repeater? I"ve been reading a little bit about the cartridge/rifle and it says most rifles have extremely long throats and most of the time you cannot seat the bullets out far enough to reach the lands and still use it as a repeater. Also, how fast can you push those 140's out of the swede, is 2800fps easily attainable, or pushing it??? I would like to use it for a LR coyote/deer rifle out to at least 600 yards, possibly 800. Hows the accuracy like with CZ's??? Dont hear or read to much about them. Thanks for the replies in advance.

I don't have a CZ in 6.5X55 Swede but I do have a sporter Model 96 Swede Mauser that has the stock 29.5 inch barrel and I can get 2800 fps from 140 gr bullets with 45 grs AA 4350 and keep safe pressure wise according the the AA manual for the Model 96 Swede. With a 25.5 inch barrel like on the CZ you would be pushing it to the max to get 2800 fps but 2750 fps would be more like it. It would just depend on the individual rifle. I know I can't load to the lands in my rifle and have the round work through the magazine. I load my OAL to 3.050 and this is as long as will work through the magazine. I do have to say that this rifle and caliber is a deer thumper. I have killed around 15 deer with this rifle. I have used the 140 Sierra Game Kings at 2800 fps, 120 Sierra Pro Hunters & 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips at 3000 fps with 46 grs AA 4350 to kill deer from 75 out to about 350 yards. It has been bang flop every time. None of the bullets were recovered as they all exited after being driven through the front shoulders. Each deers front shoulders and vitals looked like a chain saw had been thrust through them. This round kills deer just as good as my 25-06 and that is saying a lot because I am a died in the wool 25-06 man when it comes to deer killing.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.