Fellas, this one kinda hurt.

So sorry brother truly am! LOVE those number ones too. I saw a mint Safari Grade Win Mag on the consignment rack once here in town for $595. Wood was incredible. Flip up leaf sights. Looked to have never seen a safari. Ran home for my secret stash of cash to put it on lay away. 40 minuets later I was back. Gone.....
Still think of that rifle 12 years later

I've had a couple of those in my day. Now when I have something like that in my watchlist I always put a reminder in my phone 1/2 hour before the auction closes. Haven't missed one since.

Don't feel bad. About 15-20 years ago at a gun show I passed on a custom Win model 70 left hand in 375 H&H for $350! I was low on funds and didn't think of giving him a deposit and go back the next day.

Remington M700 Varmint Special - $199.99, Long's drugstore, Yuba City, Ca. 1978. Could only afford one.

My recently deceased 91 year old father walked into his local, small town Michigan bar after work one day in 1953 to buy six beers to take home for the week and another patron walked in with a brand new .300 Savage model 99 he had won through a raffle and wanted to sell.
Dad talked the guy into holding it for him for a day, went home to ask his new bride for permission to buy the gun (they were dirt poor) and bought the gun the next day for $60. I replaced the K-mart scope he put on it in around 1960 with a nice Vortex a couple years ago and use it today for everything from elk to deer.
I love that little gun

Held a Model 99 Savage in my hands in 1972. Guy wanted I think about a hundred dollars for it. Didn't buy it. Have never seen another one. Eighteen years old and not very smart. Still kick myself.
In 72 you could get by for about 10 dollars a week for lunch bills. So a hundred was some cash. I was working in a pipe yard unloading train cars for about 1.87 an hour. Yea, that was a deal on the Ruger. . I hate losing an item that you truly would like to have.

I feel your pain!

3 months ago I bought a like new Ruger M77 MKII, .243 stainless, paddle stock, circa 1999 for $380 at my local Cabello's store. It was in the rack for less than 1 hour, then by fortune I saw it. It will soon be a quick twist .22-.250 - this might offend some Ruger fans. It might have had some worthy collector value but I just had to have another .22-.250.
It's your to do with now. Hope it works well for you.

The Ruger # 1s are great rifles my 7 mag would not shoot until I floated the for-end by shimming , but that fella got a good deal , There's a old saying every now and again a blind hog finds a acorn especially in the gun world . I'm going too a West Tx gun show in June , maybe I'll get lucky might be a lot of old hand me downs there.
In the town of West? Along with some polka dancing and cold beer? Sounds like some fun if so.

I feel your pain on your letting the NO.1get away. What's strange about your post is I was telling my brother about 2 days ago I was thinking about buying a #1 since I had always admired them but have never owned one. Maybe it's a sign that it's time! Missed my deal back in the 70's on a Browning lightweight 12ga with an extra barrel for $125. The cost of the barrel at the time was $150. This older gentleman was sitting on the tailgate of his truck in the parking lot where I used to work said he was getting too old to hunt and just wanted to sell it. I didn't have the cash on me but told him that if he didn't sell it to bring it back the next day and I would take it. The guy right behind me had the money and bought it. I made a promise to myself that I would not be caught without cash on hand again. Maybe you'll get another opportunity again, I never did.

Recent Posts