Feeding issues

matt_3479

I purchased a McMillan htg and Hawkins m5 bottom metal and aics 223 mag and drop my 20 tac in it. The bolt slides right over top, and if I push up on the mag it picks up the round but jams the bullet up against something and won't feed into the chamber.

what should be my next step

Last edited:
You have quite a mix of products in that gun. Ypou need to get an experienced pperson to give you a hand or take it to a good gunsmith and get him to sort it out for you. Not trying to be smart but it doesn't sound like you have the experience to do this yourself and trying to give directions by typing it out when you can 't see what is going on is nearly impossible.

You have quite a mix of products in that gun. Ypou need to get an experienced pperson to give you a hand or take it to a good gunsmith and get him to sort it out for you. Not trying to be smart but it doesn't sound like you have the experience to do this yourself and trying to give directions by typing it out when you can 't see what is going on is nearly impossible.

well I wasn't sure if I needed to recess the bottom metal a little deeper in order to get the mag sitting higher.

Proper feeding is acquired by matching the proper components, and or modifying those components to function properly.
Plug and play rarely exists unless one manufacturer makes all your parts.
AICS mags are single stack, center feed mags, and are the easiest to make feed. Sounds like there's an issue with the relationship between the bottom metal/mag latch and receiver.
you haven't mentioned which action you're using.
Take it or send it to a "qualified" builder for his expertise.
Just my .02.

Proper feeding is acquired by matching the proper components, and or modifying those components to function properly.
Plug and play rarely exists unless one manufacturer makes all your parts.
AICS mags are single stack, center feed mags, and are the easiest to make feed. Sounds like there's an issue with the relationship between the bottom metal/mag latch and receiver.
you haven't mentioned which action you're using.
Take it or send it to a "qualified" builder for his expertise.
Just my .02.

here's my issue. I purchased a used Remington 700 blue printed with a custom barrel(was told it was a Krieger) chambered in 20 tac years ago. The rifle flat out shoots! It's not terribly heavy but solid enough for a great coyote getter! I've developed loads for the 39 blitz and 35 bergers and love the caliber. The rifle however has always given me issues. The action looks sloppy. Whoever messed with it before me, sanded the bolt but did horrific work. It was wearing a factory vls stock and bdl. I had to change the follower as it was for a 22-250/243 and wouldn't hold the rounds. It fed okay after this. But the bolt face has a half moon/crescent extractor in it running right across the bolt face, and sometimes it won't slip over the round and bolt won't close. I have to half cycle 3-4 times until it finally slips over the rim and closes. ****es me off when your trying to follow up on a second dog!

my problem is I don't know if it's worth selling it for cheap so with full disclosure so it's someone else's issue and start over from scratch with custom action build, or send it to a smith, get a new bolt and get them to rework it

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.