Feed ramp angle

degreen

I have a 03 Springfield that has been chambered in 30-338 Win Mag. I noticed that the tip of the bullet is hitting the top of the chamber, and am wondering if the angle of the feed ramp can be modified.

What to do is buy a tube of Prussian blue, put it on the ramp, the feed lips and chamber a round.
Carefully remove it and look to see where it has rubbed off.
If the ramp shows only touching at the top of it, that's your issue.
If the feed lips show less than half touching up front, it MAY also be causing a late exit from the magazine pushing the bullet tip high.
Had the same issue on my 338-416 Rigby IMP 35° with high BC bullets, cases were shoved into the top of the action. The CZ550 Safari action it's built on was the issue, feed ramp, rails and action mods were necessary to get to feed, then there was the issue with the case being so fat the it hit the action before hitting the ejector, wouldn't kick a shell out no matter how hard you pulled the bolt back. LOL.

Cheers.

I don't know the answer to your problem but you might be able to improve the situation with feed lip changes.

+1
This is normally the best way to solve this problem. Simply bend the magazine lips down slightly in the front to keep the cartridge in the mag longer and lower the tip to guide the round in to the chamber. This aids in feeding and helps to eliminate bullet nose damage.

J E CUSTOM

The claw extractor on your Springfield is likely a good share of your problem. If the cartridge can not slip up the bolt face, under the extractor, the nose of the bullet will be high as it wants to enter the chamber. The feed ramp may need to be widened a bit to accommodate the wider, magnum cartridge as will the feed rails which are part of the action. Work slowly, don't use a Dremel tool on the feed rails, use a small 3 corner file. Work slowly. A Dremel with a sanding drum can be used to widen the feed ramp. Work slowly. I use a Dremel with a fine stone to alter the extractor. Work slowly. This is not a job for a novice, as the receiver can be ruined if the the rails and ramp are over cut. If the rails are over cut, the magazine may never 'hold' cartridges again,,,,,,,, and it'd take more work to build 'um up and re-cut them than the cost of the action. It's a Mauser '98 design. Two weeks ago I fixed the same condition/feed problem on a '98. The nose of the bullet was hitting the end of the barrel. In that case, it was all extractor. Real gunsmithing, not 'drop-in and it works. File/grind and try. file/grind and try until it works like it should.

What he said !!!

I somehow missed the Springfield part and so you need to file/grind the rails to tune them.

Sorry
J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
What to do is buy a tube of Prussian blue, put it on the ramp, the feed lips and chamber a round.
Carefully remove it and look to see where it has rubbed off.
If the ramp shows only touching at the top of it, that's your issue.
If the feed lips show less than half touching up front, it MAY also be causing a late exit from the magazine pushing the bullet tip high.
Had the same issue on my 338-416 Rigby IMP 35° with high BC bullets, cases were shoved into the top of the action. The CZ550 Safari action it's built on was the issue, feed ramp, rails and action mods were necessary to get to feed, then there was the issue with the case being so fat the it hit the action before hitting the ejector, wouldn't kick a shell out no matter how hard you pulled the bolt back. LOL.

Cheers.
Thanks I will try this.

The claw extractor on your Springfield is likely a good share of your problem. If the cartridge can not slip up the bolt face, under the extractor, the nose of the bullet will be high as it wants to enter the chamber. The feed ramp may need to be widened a bit to accommodate the wider, magnum cartridge as will the feed rails which are part of the action. Work slowly, don't use a Dremel tool on the feed rails, use a small 3 corner file. Work slowly. A Dremel with a sanding drum can be used to widen the feed ramp. Work slowly. I use a Dremel with a fine stone to alter the extractor. Work slowly. This is not a job for a novice, as the receiver can be ruined if the the rails and ramp are over cut. If the rails are over cut, the magazine may never 'hold' cartridges again,,,,,,,, and it'd take more work to build 'um up and re-cut them than the cost of the action. It's a Mauser '98 design. Two weeks ago I fixed the same condition/feed problem on a '98. The nose of the bullet was hitting the end of the barrel. In that case, it was all extractor. Real gunsmithing, not 'drop-in and it works. File/grind and try. file/grind and try until it works like it should.
I asked my gunsmith about the extractor, and he told me if I wanted to work on it to be very careful. He said if I don't do it right it could break.

I have a 03 Springfield that has been chambered in 30-338 Win Mag. I noticed that the tip of the bullet is hitting the top of the chamber, and am wondering if the angle of the feed ramp can be modified.
Adjust the feed lips on the mag.if you chamber a dummy round slowly you will see it to much angle. Close the feed lips up a little at a time until it feeds right.

I asked my gunsmith about the extractor, and he told me if I wanted to work on it to be very careful. He said if I don't do it right it could break.
You won't "break" the extractor, it will just not reliably extract the case and if it does, it my drop the case on top of the magazine instead of kicking it out withe the ejector.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.