Federal WSM Brass

bosstom

I just bought some 1x fired Federal brass for my 270wsm and the primer pockets seem to be loose when using winchester primers not to the point of the primer comming out when being tapping on my bench, but there is almost no resistance felt when seating the primer. I tried some CCI primers and there was more resistance, but still not what im used to having with Winchester brass in other rifles that I load for. The only prep done to the pockets was cleaning. Is this common for Federal brass or any WSM brass? Would I be better off using Winchester brass?

Last edited:
In my experience loading the 300WSM and the 270WSM the very best brass is Norma. I have used Winchester, Remington, and Federal. Federal does have the reputation of being the softest so the primer pockets could become loose after just one firing, especially since the 270WSM is loaded very hot from the factory. In my experience the best 270WSM brass for the money is Remington.

Exept for the ''odd'' case I havent had that happen yet. I load Federal premimum and Fusion(both Federal cases) once fired from my rifle(Model-70,fwt, 270wsm). The biggest problemb I have run into is deformed caseneck rims. having to trim before I even load once on a few.
Was gonna load for 223wssm but traded it before I could. 300+,Win.223wssm brass once fired from my old rifle still sittin here, but compared to the 270wsm federal brass the fed ''looks'' better exept the necks.

FWIW...Are you sure they were only 1x fired?? I just got a box of brass from a friend to reload for him...federal in 300wsm. Out of 20 rounds 6 had extractor marks. 3 were really shiney. YUP they load em on the edge at the factory. Yet all took new fed215 primers into the pocket without any looseness.
Are there extractor marks on your brass? Are there more than one?? Re win primers...they almost always seat to ez to suit me...especially the copper colored ones.

I used to use Fed brass in my 338 Win and even though I didn't get loose pockets after 1 firing, I was getting loose pockets after 2 or 3 firings. I didn't worry about it much until my Dad got a miss-fire on a bull after a horrible rain storm. Missfires happen and it could have been due to a bad primer or something else but the only missfire I've had was with the rifle I was loading with Federal brass and some of those had loose pockets. Now I avoid Fed brass like the plague.

cross

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts