Federal with Barnes bullets

KSB209

Went out to the range last weekend to try some new to me Federal with 165 grain Barnes TSX (300 WM). I have the gun dialed in 1" high at 100 yards. When I went out to 200 yards I am 6" below the X so the drop from 100 to 200 yards is 7". I have never experienced that much drop. I have been shooting Hornady GMX and SST and at 200 yards I am about 2" maybe 3" lower then I am at 100 yards.
Anyone else experiencing the same result with this ammo?

Regardless what bullet you are using on a 300 WM your drop should not be more than 2" at 200 yds, this is odd.

Have you checked the scope is properly mounted and not loose, I know dumb question but just in case.

Yeah scope is tight as can be. I even went back to 100 yards and dead on where it was hitting before. Even put a couple rounds of the Hornady through the barrel and same results as before but the Federal was real low. Should have tried a different box of the Federal but I wasn't thinking straight after 12 rounds down range. Crazy

Any chance you were chrono graphing the velocities? Its a long shot and it would have to be off a lot! Did you change your scope settings (magnification)?

No chrono unfortunately. I did dial in 2 MOA when I found the first few shots low. Even at that I was still low. That when I switched back to Hornady and sort of forgot I had dialed it and was 4" high of my mark. Dialed back and was right on. Went back to the Federal and same POI as before.....

just crazy. I'm not going to be able to get back out for a couple week but when I do I am going to open the other box of the Federal. This particular gun is lights out with 190 grain Federal Sierra match but way off target with the Barnes. The one good thing is the wind age is right on. All my holes were within 1" but just 6" low.

Back at the range today. So same bullet and same lot yielded completely different results. It was a new box. 1" high at 100 and dead on at 200. At 300 I was 4" low. Based on what federal says I should be approx 10-12" low at 300 yards with my zero. I need to start loading my own and get this straightened out.

tried a box of Hornady superformance 180 GMX and it was a solid 5" group at 200 yards. Even though the federal drop is hit and miss for me i still hold less then 2" at 200 when I get it figured out so GMX just doesn't shoot in my rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.