Federal Terminal ascent required twist rates

Ftothfadd

Dear All,

Does any one of you have any information on the required barrel twist rates for the new federal terminal ascent bullets? I have a Sako finnlight in 300 WSM and I'm shooting the 200 grain federal terminal ascent bullets out of its 1 in 11 twist barrel. After I entered the numbers into the formula on the berger bullet site it tells me i only have marginal stability... Anyone knows what twist rate federal recommends?

Dear All,

Does any one of you have any information on the required barrel twist rates for the new federal terminal ascent bullets? I have a Sako finnlight in 300 WSM and I'm shooting the 200 grain federal terminal ascent bullets out of its 1 in 11 twist barrel. After I entered the numbers into the formula on the berger bullet site it tells me i only have marginal stability... Anyone knows what twist rate federal recommends?

Yes, it is only marginal. I did not see any readily available twist rate recommendations but I ran the information that is available about the bullet and factory ammo information ...

TA spec.JPG

... using Berger's twist rate calculator as you did ...

TA at sea level.JPG

Unless you hunt at >10K' altitude, you will need a minimum of 1:9.25" to stabilize it. But as @LVJ76 noted, it is best to go directly to the source.

Ta at 10K.JPG

I have a SAKO M995 in .300 WM 1:11" and the heaviest I load is the 190 Berger VLD.

I have a couple of .300 WSM with 1:10" and supposedly I can stabilize it at 5K' altitude (my average hunting grounds altitude).

Last edited:
Hmm, You are clearly higher on the totem pole than me. I also emailed them but have not heard back yet. I guess with my 1:11 barrel I am a bit slow twist. We will see how it shoots this Friday.
Thank you, Ferenc

my factory original 1:10 twist Rem700 LSS in 300 RUM stabilizes the 175 gr Terminal Ascent bullets (haven't shot the 200's yet) with good accuracy at 100 yards during load workup and wiped a moose out in it's tracks with mv at 3350 fps

E882263D-77C3-4C83-A51B-CB0E4BE0975C.jpeg

Well, today I finally made it to the range. Mixed results. One 3 shot group printed about a quarter inch, then subsequent groups were more like 2 inches, mainly horizontal spread. Granted I am not sure how much I was the cause of the bad groups... The rifle is a sako finnlight in 300 WSM...

Pulling from another**

Tex LR measured the tip at .260" if you're using the JBM stabilization calculator (which factors the plastic tip)