federal primers

oldfamily

What is the difference of the fed 215 and the 215 match. Both are large rifle magnum primers is the match, (if I have the name right) a more uniform flash. I plan on ordering several in and don't know the difference. thanks

Determine what you are reloading for as your first step. If you are going on a trophy hunt with the potential for one shot, use the Match primers which will give you a lower velociy deviation resulting in minimal cartrige caused elevation changes. If you are shooing close range white tails, "minute of buck" ammoo from run of the mill components will do. I strongly urge you to shoot a three shot group in ideal conditions with your projected loads to see that are your groups before going afield. Match primers give more consistant results Overbore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ive heard some say that the only diferance was that they are visually inspected befor packaging... but I don't buy it. Ive burned more than a case of them both under powder, and in a test fixture, and in every case the Ms have had lower ES and SD. With the price differance between them so low... I wouldn't care what I was assembling the ammo for weather its pdogs at 1500, or turtles at 30... its gonna be match. If youre buying them locally, its worthwile to buy a 100count box of 2 or 3 lot#s to see which is better. Usually it won't make any differance, but ive seen them range from good to great. Ill spend $6 more testing for great primers anytime. Additionally... again if youre buying locally, make sure its packeaged like the one on the right.

primers.jpg

The left is the older packaging... and consequently has been setting on the shelf for a while.

[ QUOTE ]
The left is the older packaging... and consequently has been setting on the shelf for a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to a lot of trouble to find the one on the left because I didn't like the new color. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Learn something new everyday.

Any particular reason?
I haven't found that they shoot different... just that the newer it is... the less likly its been handled improperly... in my opinion.

Cableas finally put them behind the counter because you would pick a box and a bunch of primers were missing.

You just know that they were mishandled when guys are putting primer form one box to another to make a full box.

I aggree with only buying the match. Primers are so cheap anyway.

Watched a show a few years ago on the outdoor cannel. I believe it was a tour of the federal ammo plant. They followed the ammo step by step as it was being made. The thing that suprised me was primer production. At that time the only diffrence between the match primers and regular was the person making them. The primers were all hand made and the people who done the most consistant charging and assambly of the primer were put on the match grade line. I am curious if they are still made this way and how other companies produce them. You would think quality would suffer after doing this mind numding job for a period of time.

I have no direct knowledge whatsoever, but I have also heard on several occassions that the Federal match primers were made by the more experienced and competent employees and that was the only difference. It seems like what you're describing would tend to back that up.

BTW, the Federal match primers is pretty much all I ever use.

I did some 100yd load testing last weekend just to see the difference myself. I was shooting a factory Rem 700P in 300 RUM 190gr SMK with Hodgdon H-1000 powder. The difference at 100yds was considerable, I measured my groups from center to center and subtracted the bullet diameter.

90gr H-1000 215 .426
215m .203

92gr H-1000 215 1.015
215m .406

94gr H-1000 215 2.115 (may have pulled a little??)
215m one hole

I then tried one load of Rl-25 and had opposite results.
215 .218 and the 215m 3.020, but by then the range had closed and I talked the guy into letting me shoot my last six to test and I kinda rushed through this may or may not account for the difference. I am going back this weekend with some loaded up to know for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.