Federal Match primers?

emn83

so, I was at the local farm and fleet. They just got into reloading gear, so all they are selling is primes and powder. They had federal GM210 Match primers, for like $2.90 for a hundred, which is cheaper than most primers I've seen no 1k boxes. Now, I have 1k CCI 200 primers here at home, and the 200 others I have used have served me well. My question is, are the federals worth trying, or should I go through my CCIs before trying a different primer?

so, I was at the local farm and fleet. They just got into reloading gear, so all they are selling is primes and powder. They had federal GM210 Match primers, for like $2.90 for a hundred, which is cheaper than most primers I've seen no 1k boxes. Now, I have 1k CCI 200 primers here at home, and the 200 others I have used have served me well. My question is, are the federals worth trying, or should I go through my CCIs before trying a different primer?
all fed rifle primers are dang good, and it sounds like a deal. Get 'em while you can at that price.

thanks guys.

works out well, will be building a load when I get the rifle back, so I was thinking why not try the Fed 210 because the rifle is my hunting and F-T/R rifle

Well. I went through the lopsided primer prices when they got hard to get (almost resorted in making home made primers) so if I see them for a good price, I tend to buy quantity.

I keep 'em in tucked away in a dresser drawer.

Interestingly, I tried Wolf a while back and had good results. Wolf is really cheap.

Well. I went through the lopsided primer prices when they got hard to get (almost resorted in making home made primers) so if I see them for a good price, I tend to buy quantity.

Interestingly, I tried Wolf a while back and had good results. Wolf is really cheap.

it's all CCI or Federal for me up here, Ironically, the Federal match were the least expensive ones I saw. Think I might pick up 1500 the next time I'm at the store

what are wolf similar to?? I've used fed, win cci, rem (rws is a great musket cap but we're talking centerfire)

In my amateur opinion, comparable to CCI. I've been using Wolf 209's in trap loads for a while now and I'll probably use them in the Apex I plan on getting very shortly.

I have a pile of 223's primed with Wolf Small Rifle Primers.... Got a wicked deal about a year ago.

I don't think much of Wolf loaded ammo. Not fond of steel cased anything except pray and spray.......:D

At that price, I would buy 10 " flats " of them, which would give you 1k . As far as a mag primer, the 215 is just about the best all around, and them being the GM version, which is just more consistent. The last ime I bought primers, they were $ 36.00 for 1k. You do the math. I'd buy a pick up load at that price, even if they were singles. Are they the newer ones, or are they a older batch. It dosen't matter really. I have some older ones, that I keep in a cool dry place, and they work just fine.

EDIT, just realized you said 210's, not 215's. That said, that's still a great price. Federal GM primers are excellent in either variant. Buy all you can!! Don't look back.

Thanks guys. went back to the farm ad fleet today, it was $29.80 for 1k primers, so I bought the two 1k packs they had...could have bought 800 more, but they were loose 100 primer packs, and didn't want to bother with them. Next Time I go back I'll buy another 1 or 2K. Thanks again guys for the advice

I went to local Farm & Fleet in Eau Claire, WI, they not only did not have any reloading supplies (including primmers), but treated me like I was from outer space even asking for them! I also checked Fleet Farm in Appleton, WI (simular started by same family)
and they said they handled no reloading equipment or supplies. Can anyone give me a specific location in WI or MN where they know of a Fram & Fleet that does.
The price is good, about $10.00 a case cheaper then locale. It's not worth a lot of effort but I am wondering why some places and not others.?????

I went to local Farm & Fleet in Eau Claire, WI, they not only did not have any reloading supplies (including primmers), but treated me like I was from outer space even asking for them! I also checked Fleet Farm in Appleton, WI (simular started by same family)
and they said they handled no reloading equipment or supplies. Can anyone give me a specific location in WI or MN where they know of a Fram & Fleet that does.
The price is good, about $10.00 a case cheaper then locale. It's not worth a lot of effort but I am wondering why some places and not others.?????

Wally world is the same way. A few stores have reloading components, but most don't. I've tried to get the local one to have rl stuff, but I don't think he wants the local shops to put the smack down on him. Some stores like Wally world don't like competition that they can't stomp on.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.