Federal Gold Medal Match 175gr Sierra Match King

Southernfryedyankee

I was curious as to if anyone had any experience with this ammo. As of right now I am not in a position to reload my own ammo so I must use factory for the time being. I happened to find this ammo in sale for 200 rds for $220 + SH. I know 168g in this ammo was the standard for many but after reading some reviews this seems to be shining just as brightly if not brighter. I would like to add that this is not a hunting rifle and this ammo will not be game related. Here are my rifle specs to see if this info helps with an opinion on the ammo in question.

Rem 700 completely blueprinted 308 Win
Rock creek 24" heavy barrel 5R rifling 1-11.25" twist
Wild Dog SA-TA2 stock bdded
Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP MRAD reticle

This ammo is very consistant. I cant garuntee your gun will like it, but i had great luck with the 168's in a 1:12, and my 1:10 shot it (175's) at less than .5" during break in.

I would buy a box or two and try it in your rifle before buying in larger quantities. I would also recommend trying several other match loadings in different bullet weights from different manufacturers.

You never really know how any given load will perform from your rifle until you shoot it.

A few years ago, I bought a Remington 700VS in .308 (26" barrel, 1:12 twist). Before I actually shot it, I figured that the specs of the rifle would probably favor 168gr match bullets. I bought and tested 168gr and 175gr match loads from Black Hills and Federal. All loads shot well, but to my surprise, my rifle showed a distinct preference for the 175gr loads from both manufacturers. It shot the 175gr Black Hills load the best. Consistently delivering .3-ish three shot groups time after time.

Bottom line, try a few different loads. If your rifle shows a preference for one specific load, buy all of that lot number that you can find/afford.

The Federal Premium 175 Sierra Match King BTHP and the 168 Matchking BTHP respond differently for every weapon. I have tried both of them in my 20 inch Remington 1 in 10 twist heavy barrel. The 168 Gr is my choice for up to 350 yards and the 175 seems to give me better groups out past the 350 yard range. Barrel is free floated with no harmonic tuning devices and shoots sub MOA at 200 yards consistently with 168 Federal Matchking.. You will also be able to find some good deals on this ammo on line..1 in 12 twist I think would like the 168 best.. Good shooting..
I have a couple of hundred once fired Federal Gold Medal Match cartridges for sale at any given time for those looking to purchase for reloading..Boxes and sleeves included...

The 175 Sierra Match King is a very good hunting bullet and lots of people use it. Here is a Maryland whitetail shot at a little over 300 yards with it a couple of years ago.

Phil091.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts