Federal Fusion

On a side note, not sure if others have ever seen this or not? I loaded up some 1x fired fusion brass for my neighbor's gun two years ago, the brass was fired in his 30-06 ruger, it was so soft that it would not extract near max! Wasn't a hot load either using 55.5/W760 with Sierra 180 GameKings. This is listed max in Hodgdon's manual for that bullet, but not in Sierra's manual: Sierra only lists 51.0, and a max of 52.8.... which is where I started. I stopped and went out and bought him some new Winchester brass and loaded it back up to 56.5 and settled on 55.5/W760 with that same bullet. Federal Brass has been known to be soft, so if you decide to reload the Fusion 1x brass use caution!!!

I'll try this for wonderman4 and he can correct me if I'm a little off base. The Fusion bullets have the "jacket" material applied to a lead core by an electroplating process rather than having a separate jacket and core "bonded" together, "soldered", so to speak". I think maybe the Fusion process may involve various dips of the core material into a liquid bath of jacket material to attain the proper "jacket" thickness but I may be wrong.

I have a 300 WSM from christensen that absolutely loves them. Most groups between 0.4 and 0.8 at 100. Almost as good as my best handloads so you're definitely not the only person a bit ashamed about getting beat by cheap factory ammo
Ditto. I had a Christensen 300 WSM carbon barrel that loved. The person I sold it to still uses them and swears by them.

Purchased a first gen Remington Sendero in 270 win. Federal premium 130 Nosler ballistic tip shot hair over half inch at 100 I not sure if I wanna load for it or not that is not a fusion but a factory load and not sure I could get it much tighter

So I went to the range this past weekend and pulled the 300 wsm out of the safe for a bear hunt in the coming weeks. Went to the store for ammo as I have never shot this gun before and bought some 165 federal fushion as that is all they had. Went home and loaded some more with brass I had prior bought but yet to load. Loaded 40 rounds .005 increments from the lands to find the sweet spot over some H4350. Range day, put the scope on, used the fushion to dial in and then started with the loads. Best hand load with 180 accubonds yielded .6 moa, all 5 shot groups with barrel cooling in between groups so no problems there. Had brought an extra 5 rounds of the federal fusions with me and decided to see how those grouped, mind boggling! 5 shot group that measured .38! Maybe it was just a fluke but these have now peaked my interest as the price was very reasonable imo. Just curious if anyone has any experience with these rounds on black bear/ elk at ranges of 3-400 yards? Thanks for the input ahead of time... Gun used was a Savage 110 Bear hunter as well if anyone is wanting to know
Nope you are not the only one.. i start shooting them with my new rem700 long range in 300 win mag...always very precise bullet almost incredible.. than i tried them in my 30/06 mossberg 4x4.. same results.. is a good ammo and my preferred choice for hunting.. at 300 meters they grouped 1/2 moa in both rifles....

Weird how certain guns like certain pills!! It may have been just a fluke as this was my first experience with them. It was almost embarrassing seeing cheap factory ammo whoop some handloads the way those did lol. Thanks for the reply
If they shoot that good and they're cheap runem!!!! Elk and deer let killed by much less! 🇺🇸

The Fusions are not bonded bullets. They are plated.

For what it is worth ...

Fusion bullets.JPG

(SOURCE: https://www.federalpremium.com/rifle/fusion/fusion-rifle/11-F300WFS2.html)

Bonding by the book.JPG

(SOURCE: https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/bonded-vs-non-bonded-bullets/83517)

If you read the article from Rifleshootermag, it lists Federal Fusion as an example of bonded bullets.

In short, plating is one of many processes of bonding bullets.

"IF" this does NOT suffice, I also sent a query directly to Federal and will share their response upon receipt.

ADDED: 09/28

As promised ...

Fusion bonded.JPG

Last edited:
The cheaper ammo with Fusion, Corelokts and Interlock bullets group half MOA or better in many rifles including two of mine, but yet we try to find great loads with more expensive bullets. Hilarious
I've always had great results with core-lokts. I have not bought any factory loaded in awhile. I've had great success using core-lokts in hand loads when you could buy them in bulk.

Jeremy, words cannot adequately express my experience with Federal fusion ammunition.
IMG_20200926_174614.jpg
So I went to the range this past weekend and pulled the 300 wsm out of the safe for a bear hunt in the coming weeks. Went to the store for ammo as I have never shot this gun before and bought some 165 federal fushion as that is all they had. Went home and loaded some more with brass I had prior bought but yet to load. Loaded 40 rounds .005 increments from the lands to find the sweet spot over some H4350. Range day, put the scope on, used the fushion to dial in and then started with the loads. Best hand load with 180 accubonds yielded .6 moa, all 5 shot groups with barrel cooling in between groups so no problems there. Had brought an extra 5 rounds of the federal fusions with me and decided to see how those grouped, mind boggling! 5 shot group that measured .38! Maybe it was just a fluke but these have now peaked my interest as the price was very reasonable imo. Just curious if anyone has any experience with these rounds on black bear/ elk at ranges of 3-400 yards? Thanks for the input ahead of time... Gun used was a Savage 110 Bear hunter as well if anyone is wanting to know

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.