Federal Fusion

So I went to the range this past weekend and pulled the 300 wsm out of the safe for a bear hunt in the coming weeks. Went to the store for ammo as I have never shot this gun before and bought some 165 federal fushion as that is all they had. Went home and loaded some more with brass I had prior bought but yet to load. Loaded 40 rounds .005 increments from the lands to find the sweet spot over some H4350. Range day, put the scope on, used the fushion to dial in and then started with the loads. Best hand load with 180 accubonds yielded .6 moa, all 5 shot groups with barrel cooling in between groups so no problems there. Had brought an extra 5 rounds of the federal fusions with me and decided to see how those grouped, mind boggling! 5 shot group that measured .38! Maybe it was just a fluke but these have now peaked my interest as the price was very reasonable imo. Just curious if anyone has any experience with these rounds on black bear/ elk at ranges of 3-400 yards? Thanks for the input ahead of time... Gun used was a Savage 110 Bear hunter as well if anyone is wanting to know

I've the same embarassing experience with my 25-06 Weatherhy Vanguard and Barnes 100 gr TTSX loads. I cannot handload for that rifle better than they shoot, less than .40 if I can perform as well as the rifle load.

I've had some impressive groups with the Fusion box ammo for my Valkyrie. Shot a couple big whitetail but they exited even after hitting ribs. Did the job pretty well in my opinion.

Attachments

• 20200609_170135.jpg
    20200609_170135.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 168
I read a book by Craig Boddington that has a story about a friend of his that was shooting factory ammo in a 300 H&H Magnum. The friend shot 3 rounds and looked through the spotting scope and could only see one hole. He got mad and grabbed the rifle by the barrel and slung it away....catching his finger by the front site, cutting his finger. He went to the target and, behold, the three rounds had nearly gone in the same hole. The friend went and bought a case of the factory ammo!

When Indiana began to allow .243 rifle and .30 cal rifle to hunt deer, I had a Thompson Encore barrel that I received years ago that I never mounted. I did not have dies for a .243 so I purchased a couple boxes of Federal Fusion. End of story, they shot 5/8" @100. Went back to the store to stock up. I usually handled everything but why here when it shoots great. Only use the rifle during opening morning deer season. Good shooting!

I have a number of guns that shoot factory ammo fusions better than moa. I wouldn't use them for long range hunting but I have not had any issues when using fusion ammo with no more than 3000fps MV (e.g., 150gr 270). They are definitely tougher than other options like corelokt and powerpoint. Seems odd that Federal hasn't put a polymer tip on them as I know a lot of other folks that have had good luck with them.

Weird how certain guns like certain pills!! It may have been just a fluke as this was my first experience with them. It was almost embarrassing seeing cheap factory ammo whoop some handloads the way those did lol. Thanks for the reply
It's happening more and more these days. So don't feel bad about it.....just remember the cost savings reloading too.. and loading is a Hell of lot better than doing Laundry!

My experience with FED Fusion ammo has been rock solid. I make this my go to factory hunting ammo.

Weatherby Vanguard 6.5C 140 Fusion @ 100y SUB MOA
Seekins Havak PH 6.5C 140 Fusion @ 100y .75 groups @ 500y consistent sub 4inch center hits on steel
MOD 70 Classic 270 featherweight 150 Fusion @ 100y .5-.8 groups 220 yards shot on WT buck through & through DRT
MOD 70 Classic 270 sporter 150 Fusion @ 1100y .5-.75 groups
MOD 70 Classic 243 featherweight 95 Fusion @ 100y .5-.75 groups
I have read several rifle reviews where the Fusion ammo shot sub MOA groups.

So I went to the range this past weekend and pulled the 300 wsm out of the safe for a bear hunt in the coming weeks. Went to the store for ammo as I have never shot this gun before and bought some 165 federal fushion as that is all they had. Went home and loaded some more with brass I had prior bought but yet to load. Loaded 40 rounds .005 increments from the lands to find the sweet spot over some H4350. Range day, put the scope on, used the fushion to dial in and then started with the loads. Best hand load with 180 accubonds yielded .6 moa, all 5 shot groups with barrel cooling in between groups so no problems there. Had brought an extra 5 rounds of the federal fusions with me and decided to see how those grouped, mind boggling! 5 shot group that measured .38! Maybe it was just a fluke but these have now peaked my interest as the price was very reasonable imo. Just curious if anyone has any experience with these rounds on black bear/ elk at ranges of 3-400 yards? Thanks for the input ahead of time... Gun used was a Savage 110 Bear hunter as well if anyone is wanting to know
30-06 Federal Fusion elk cow 165 grains, it did what was supposed to do; 35-50 yards.

I have had great success with the 165 gr Fed Fusion. Not unusual to get 5 shot .5moa groups. The most accurate factory ammo that my 300WSM Browning A bolt likes is Win 150gr Ballistic Silvertip. Always under .5 MOA 5 shot groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts