Federal edge tlr: Any new reports?

Calvin45

Title says it. I know it's been discussed but it's still a relatively new option and I'm calling for any experiences to be shared for
Our benefit. From what I'm seeing in reviews and YouTube videos it's pretty hard to beat this design, but it's also pricey as all get out.

to those who have used it.

how is it for load work up? Finicky, forgiving, frustrating?
How are the groups?
How is the real world terminal performance on game (looks perfect in gel tests)
Do the bcs hold up?
Are the consistent bullet to bullet?

ultimately, do you feel they're worth the extra money?

I did some load work with the 200 TLRs in a custom 30 nosler at 3000-3050 with H1k. It was a 1 moa load at 300 but aggravating because I couldn't work the flyer out. It would stack 2 very close and have a flyer opening the group to 3 inches. In reality, it was a serviceable hunting load as the first shot at 300 was always dead on.

I shot the 200 nos accubond, 215 and 230 bergers with all shooting 1-1.5 inches at 300 consistently. I've settled on the 230 at 2950.

The other thing I didn't like due to the ogive shape was the TLR was seated very deeply into the cartridge. Much more than the accubond or bergers.

got 10 boxes of the 175 gr Ascent to play with in my 30 cals & have 10 boxes of the 200 gr coming
0DD56138-BB05-4EE4-9278-03E2EF5325B7.jpeg
76615503-696F-4167-9C75-0D5B672E4200.jpeg

TLR are discontinued, it's now the feaderal "ascent" -- supposedly same bullet but coating now done in house for a "better" finish
Woah. That's news to me. I'm in Canada so I expect the tlrs will be here for a while before the new product comes in. Same thing though if I'm hearing right.

I have a few boxes of the TLRs to use up and then I will try the new ascent version. The TLRs are very frustrating though. I am a having flyer issue as has been stated above. I have gone through my 6 boxes and separated by weight and bearing length to hopefully get rid of the fliers.

I have read that federal tweaked the profile and added a grove to help with accuracy as well as went in house on the coating on the new terminal ascent. This also dropped the BC a little.

I am a huge fan of the TLR bullet and have had great results with the bullet. I shoot the 155gr in my suppressed 280AI right at 3000fps using Reloder16 and shoot 1/2MOA. Federal promoted this bullet for a year and a half before I actually go my hands on components to reload. So when I found components I stocked up and have 6 or 8 boxes to get me by for awhile. I also bought several boxes of 30 cal 175 and 200 gr but have not played with them yet as my Scirocco load is already dialed in and I a happy with that bullet. I also have 6.5 and 270 components to try when I get time.
I was able to pick up a couple of boxes of the new Terminal Ascent when they did the first run but I did not shoot them as it would change my dope since the bc is ~.015lower due to the extra pressure groove in the newer bullet. They look exactly the same other than 2 pressure grooves instead of 1?
I killed 3 animals with the TLR last fall and was very happy with performance. Furthest kill was at 300 yards so I cannot speak for long range performance but I do not lack any confidence that they will do the job. One of the animals was an oryx which you must shoot through the shoulder to get to the vitals and the bullets were in the hide on the offside after two 300 yard shots- textbook mushroom and rear shank.
I am attaching a couple of photos of how my rifle shoots these bullets. They bc was spot on to 800 yards and you can see my steel plate at 800. I saw an advertisement in this months edition of Huntin Fool for the new Terminal Ascent so it looks like Federal is still planning to produce this line. I would just stock up when they become available because Federal does not do a good job of keeping product on shelves when it comes to components (not just the TLR or Ascent). These bullets like a little more jump-- .040 was my sweet spot. I also have a friend who was having a "flier" issue like the gentleman that posted above but it was two in the same hole, the third 1" out so still a 1" group.
I may be willing to part with some components if someone is dying to try them? I am all set for this falls hunts and dont have the time to play with these (I cannot part with the 7mm pills-- only the others I have not tried;). I hope to in the winter when things slow down.
Good luck. I think these will be worth the wait. Just create notifications of product arrival on the websites that you shop at and be quick to order when you get the notification.

Attachments

• 280 AI Edge TLR load.jpg
    280 AI Edge TLR load.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 287
  • TLR 800.jpg
    TLR 800.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 261
Tried a combination or 58 grains of RL 23 , CCI BR2 primer and a seating depth of 50/1000 off the lands as posted by another member and hit pay dirt. 5 shots averaging under 5/8 in.
I was using a slightly heavier charge and 30/1000 off the lands. Shows that just a little tweek can pay off.

DROCK do you have any of the 6.5 terminal ascent bullets? or the 7mm terminal ascent? I am loading the TLR for my 280 and am having trouble reaching a good velocity before pressure signs for some reason. I wonder if the extra pressure ring would help me any?

I do have a box of the Terminal Ascent in 7mm and I have the 6.5's but the 6.5 does not have an extra pressure groove like the other TA bullets?

What kind of velocity are you getting? What powder are you using? I am at 3000fps with a 22" barrel in my 280AI with a suppressor. RL16. Might need to try a powder change. I am a little hesitant to give up my box of TA's as I dont know when I will be able to get more but I am shooting the TLR and if you want to trade TLR for TA I might consider that?

I do have a box of the Terminal Ascent in 7mm and I have the 6.5's but the 6.5 does not have an extra pressure groove like the other TA bullets?

What kind of velocity are you getting? What powder are you using? I am at 3000fps with a 22" barrel in my 280AI with a suppressor. RL16. Might need to try a powder change. I am a little hesitant to give up my box of TA's as I dont know when I will be able to get more but I am shooting the TLR and if you want to trade TLR for TA I might consider that?

I'm getting 2900 with 59 grains 7828 23" barrel. 60 grains gives big pressure signs. Funny thing is I can shoot a 160 accubond with 61.5 grains 7828 at 2950 no pressure signs at all. I'd swap a box of TLR for TA if u would to see what they do? I was trying to find the 6.5 to try in my 6.5-284, but they are nowhere to be found at this time unfortunately.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.