Federal Brass Primer Pockets

I've had that problem with R-P brass. I fire formed .280 Remington factory rounds in my .280 Ackley and after the 2nd time I reloaded it the primers were falling out. Used some nail polish to shoot them then discarded. I still have Federal Premium brass I have fired twice since fire forming. Have not fired third time. Thanks for the heads up!

Thank you all for opening my eyes.. I thought Federal was good brass since they also make Lake City now.
I have a boat load of 270 WSM made out of 300 WSM virgin Federal brass. I might just load once and use for key fobs to sell. there goes 500 cases up in gun smoke.

I've found that using Federal primers helps with the larger primer pocket. I used to use Federal once fired factory brass in my 300 WM. I found I could just get 1 or 2 reloads with Rem primers. I then saw a post somewhere where someone said not all primers are of the same diameter and recommended Federal primers in Federal cases. That worked for me for an additional 2 loads. I then switch brass to get a bit more capacity so I don't know how many total loads I would have gotten.

Had anyone else found Federal primers to be a bit larger in diameter? I've wondered about this and have been puzzled.
The above post makes sense when I remember that in the '90's and again 5 years or so ago, Federal was having trouble with pierced primers . So the possible remedy was to use stouter primer cups .

Had the same problem with Valkyrie brass. Primers would seat with just the weight of the press handle. Called them and they said send them three new cases. Sent it in and they sent me a new bag but no explanation or determination.

I used Federal nickel plated brass for two rifles this past year. Used 4 300 WBY cases for fowling rounds on a load work up loaded with 79 gr 7828 and 180 gr bullet. Loaded 50 30-06 cases with 125 gr bullets for off hand practice on my 280 yard plate. Checked the pockets with .210 & .2095 pin gauges when new and after firing. The pockets new will allow .210 to just start and the .2095 went slightly farther in. 2 of the wby cases allowed the .210 pin to bottom out at firing #8, 1 case bottomed at #10. 1 case allows pin to go about half way after 10 firings. The 30-06 cases are x1 and show no signs of expanding with the 125 gr load. Wby case were loaded with 215 primers and 06 were WLR primers. None of these cases showed any signs of leaking around the primer. I use lots of different brass, working up loads I watch case head expansion and load rounds to try and get good case life.

I hate to be the kid in the corner but I'm up to 15 loads on my 308 win federal brass, primers still firm but changing over to PPU brass because of the number of reloads on them.
BTW primers are S&B, powder is CFE223 or n-150 and I only neck size. They've never been annealed either.
Bullets have been 150 grain S&B at 2900 fps, 165 grain speers at 2750 fps and I've just loaded up some 130 grn barnes tsx to work up a load. Chrono is a magnetospeed sport.
Now if you'd said R-P brass I'd have been on the bandwagon 100%

So what is the H20 capacity difference in the Federal vs other brands? What is the difference in expansion @ .200"? Please provide some metrics so a proper analysis can be done.
It is true that higher pressure can be achieved with ADG et.al but they are still higher pressures. Powder charges will likely be less even though one is running "higher pressure". What are your chamber dimensions? Maybe tight? Maybe loose? It's one thing to buy expensive brass to accommodate any number of discrepancies in our handloading practices, but it is quite another to discredit companies that expect us to remain within the rules. I'm comfortable acknowledging my desire to push the envelope. I'm not comfortable blaming others when things don't work out because I do so. So please provide some details.

I have a lot of fed 7 RM brass and it was actually very consistent when sorted, but i loose about 1/4 each time i shoot for loose primer pockets. they weren't all that tight to begin with on a lot of them.

Thank you all for opening my eyes.. I thought Federal was good brass since they also make Lake City now.
I have a boat load of 270 WSM made out of 300 WSM virgin Federal brass. I might just load once and use for key fobs to sell. there goes 500 cases up in gun smoke.
Federal just purchased the ammo mfg division of Remington . Maybe they are trying to improve.

addition:
Federal Ammunition's parent company to pay $81.4 million for unit of bankrupt Remington. Vista Outdoor Inc. has agreed to buy the ammunition and accessories assets from the bankruptcy process of Remington Outdoor Company Inc. Anoka-based Vista, which owns Federal Ammunition, is purchasing the assets for $81.4 million.
Sep 29, 2020

Federal just purchased the ammo mfg division of Remington . Maybe they are trying to improve.

addition:
Federal Ammunition's parent company to pay $81.4 million for unit of bankrupt Remington. Vista Outdoor Inc. has agreed to buy the ammunition and accessories assets from the bankruptcy process of Remington Outdoor Company Inc. Anoka-based Vista, which owns Federal Ammunition, is purchasing the assets for $81.4 million.
Sep 29, 2020
Actually Federals factory ammo is top shelf. They may not want to be Lapua. Back when I was a kid Federal was kind of a dirty word around duck camp. They really put out some garbage shotshells. Now weather it's endless rifle options with super high quality to all their shotshell options I don't think there is anyone even close to quality and quantity and they are still affordable.

Actually Federals factory ammo is top shelf. They may not want to be Lapua. Back when I was a kid Federal was kind of a dirty word around duck camp. They really put out some garbage shotshells. Now weather it's endless rifle options with super high quality to all their shotshell options I don't think there is anyone even close to quality and quantity and they are still affordable.
Along with my fired Federal brass, I've got a WHOLE bunch of new Federal brass that was from disassembled cartridges. Live primers are still in place. I placed it all in vacuum sealed bags , in ammo cans for when I need it. I don't know if there is anything amiss with this brass. I too have always been a fan of Federal. I have a stalking rifle that shoots their Premium ammo better that anything I can reload, ( 5 rounds in 3/4" at 100yd). And I have been disappointed that lately the Federal Premium ammo used nickel-plated brass . But last year I was able to pick up 140 rounds with standard brass cartridges.

I use to use Federal brass in my .243 and most of it had loose pockets after 5-6 shots and some made it to 7 shots. I have since switched to Peterson and haven't looked back. For .300 Win Mag, I would look into getting some Peterson, ADG, or Gunwerks. Those are all solid choices and should handle a good load for 10+ reloads.
I agree 100%. It seems that the brass we've all used for years is just that, brass, but either the necks are junk, no tension, or the pockets are loose, or shoot loose in short time. I've gone to Lapua brass, for the most part, in calibers that they make, and life is very good. I have a batch of 7.08 brass that had nine firings, and as good as it was on first firing. Federal used to be very good. Most of our domestic brass is sub standard to say the least. Pockets and necks are my per peave. If they're not right, file 13.