Federal Brass Primer Pockets

hunter66

I have been looking for 300 win mag brass for awhile, usually use Hornady or Winchester. Came across some new Federal Brass a while back and bought it. On the third loading the primer pockets were so loose I had to discard them. I have gotten 6 or 7 loads out of the other brass I have used. My loads are not real hot but had to drop down 3/4 grain of powder on the Federal brass as compared to Hornady or Winchester brass. Has anyone experienced this with Federal Brass?

I have had the same results with a few different chamberings.

22-250, 204 Ruger, 270Win and 257Rob.

I just don't use Federal brass if I can find any other brand.

I've had equal experiences with primer pockets loosening up considerably after second or third firings on Fed brass. I never buy Fed to reload with, just reload factory ammo after having shot it once. Then, I just lower my expectations on the number of firings I will get out of it.

Yep. I'm done with Federal brass. Some once fired 270 Win factory loads were so loose I didn't think a primer actual fed into my RCBS hand primer. Absolutely no resistance.

I have been looking for 300 win mag brass for awhile, usually use Hornady or Winchester. Came across some new Federal Brass a while back and bought it. On the third loading the primer pockets were so loose I had to discard them. I have gotten 6 or 7 loads out of the other brass I have used. My loads are not real hot but had to drop down 3/4 grain of powder on the Federal brass as compared to Hornady or Winchester brass. Has anyone experienced this with Federal Brass?
Same here I only get 2 loadings in my 308 with Federal brass. I had a bunch of gold medal match factory ammo that I shot up and thats the only reason I had Fed brass in the first place

I quit using Federal brass in the '90's for that very reason.

.223 before that.

The brass made in the '80's was never a problem.

I have seen once fired factory brass that wouldn't hold a primer.

I've found that using Federal primers helps with the larger primer pocket. I used to use Federal once fired factory brass in my 300 WM. I found I could just get 1 or 2 reloads with Rem primers. I then saw a post somewhere where someone said not all primers are of the same diameter and recommended Federal primers in Federal cases. That worked for me for an additional 2 loads. I then switch brass to get a bit more capacity so I don't know how many total loads I would have gotten.

Had anyone else found Federal primers to be a bit larger in diameter? I've wondered about this and have been puzzled.

I use to use Federal brass in my .243 and most of it had loose pockets after 5-6 shots and some made it to 7 shots. I have since switched to Peterson and haven't looked back. For .300 Win Mag, I would look into getting some Peterson, ADG, or Gunwerks. Those are all solid choices and should handle a good load for 10+ reloads.

This brass is tough!!
You won't have bad primer pockets with it!!
10 hot reloads and still going on the first batch purchased.

Or get the long version for head spacing off the shoulder and not the belt.
it's what I use

The once fired federal brass I use in my 270wsm is like that. After first firing from factory ammo the pockets are just barely tight enough to hold a primer and some won't. So now that I have 2x on the brass I'm just going tighten the primer pockets back up myself with a ball bearing and a punch. I'm just running a mild load because that's all fed brass can take if you want to get more than 2 firings out of it. If you want the good stuff go Peterson or lapua when it comes out. Hornady seems to be much better than Winchester or federal.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.