Federal American Eagle FMJ 30-06 150gr..

kristian55

Question.
Your opinion and advice for small game of cartridge Federal American Eagle FMJ 30-06 150gr..

I can't think of any use for a Full-Metal-Jacketed bullet, unless you are hunting a fur-bearing animal for the hide. :rolleyes:

220 pound varmints??? Better bring the .338! :D What part of the world are you in? Wolves are protected around here (too bad) and foxes or coyotes are very big.
Hi Junior.
Read:varmint AND animals

.338 -100kg.- funny lightbulb

Kristian,

Better shoot some and see how the accuracy is before you even worry too much about hunting with these. Like WTFC, I'd hesitate to suggest an FMJ for most hunting needs, especially in factory ammunition. The FMJs can be useful for some pelt hnting, but they'll need to be loaded down quite a bit for that application. At top end velocities, FMJ or not, they can be pretty destructive, and will flat out unhinge a small varmint like a fox.

My concern here centers more on the accuracy issue; FMJs are generally the least accurate bullets you'll find. The Federal American Eagle, especially being a "bargain load" is going to be a real fine example of this. Most of these use the same FMJ style bullets as that they use for military spec ammunition, which translates into about 2.5-3 MOA being acceptable for accuracy. Fine for a rack grade Garand or M14/M1A in a combat match, but most of us would like something a little more refined for an accurate bolt gun. I know whose bullets Federal used to use (and I believe, still do) and 3 MOA is about the best you can reliably hope for with these. Trust me, I tested tens of thousands of these.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Kristian,

Better shoot some and see how the accuracy is before you even worry too much about hunting with these. Like WTFC, I'd hesitate to suggest an FMJ for most hunting needs, especially in factory ammunition. The FMJs can be useful for some pelt hnting, but they'll need to be loaded down quite a bit for that application. At top end velocities, FMJ or not, they can be pretty destructive, and will flat out unhinge a small varmint like a fox.

My concern here centers more on the accuracy issue; FMJs are generally the least accurate bullets you'll find. The Federal American Eagle, especially being a "bargain load" is going to be a real fine example of this. Most of these use the same FMJ style bullets as that they use for military spec ammunition, which translates into about 2.5-3 MOA being acceptable for accuracy. Fine for a rack grade Garand or M14/M1A in a combat match, but most of us would like something a little more refined for an accurate bolt gun. I know whose bullets Federal used to use (and I believe, still do) and 3 MOA is about the best you can reliably hope for with these. Trust me, I tested tens of thousands of these.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA
Hi Kevin.
Thank you for an answer.
For me Your answer is more complete.
Two questions:
-what amount of cycles can be used cases Federal American Eagle FMJ 30-06 150gr.. for reloading;
-Now I want to test a cartridge Sellier&Bellot 30-06 XLC 180g. did you use this cartridge with a Barnes bullet, what opinions ?
With respect,
Kristian.

Hi Kristian,

The Federal brass is okay for reloading and will do just fine if not pushed too hard. It does have a tendency to be on the soft side, which limits it's useful life compared to some of the more "durable" makes. Keep your pressures at a reasonable level, and avoid excessive sizing if possible, and it will do a decent job for you. I have very little experience with the Barnes bullet in the field, so I'd defer that question to someone who does. Sorry, but I'd rather steer you to someone who knows than to steer you wrong myself!

Hope that helps,

KevinThomas
Lapua USA

Hi Kristian,

The Federal brass is okay for reloading and will do just fine if not pushed too hard. It does have a tendency to be on the soft side, which limits it's useful life compared to some of the more "durable" makes. Keep your pressures at a reasonable level, and avoid excessive sizing if possible, and it will do a decent job for you. I have very little experience with the Barnes bullet in the field, so I'd defer that question to someone who does. Sorry, but I'd rather steer you to someone who knows than to steer you wrong myself!

Hope that helps,

KevinThomas
Lapua USA
Hi Kevin.
Thank you for an answer.
Your opinion interesting me and I will be beholden for a help on information about a cartridge Sellier&Bellot 30-06 XLC 180g..
With kind regards,
Kristian.
P.S.
You are acquainted with a bullet "Woodleigh bullets" 240gr. BC.401- I want to use it on a polar bear ( Chukotka ),-Your opinions of recommendation on this hunt.

Hey Kristian,

Again, I'd have to defer an answer here, but I have heard good things about the Woodleigh bullets. Not the same as field experience, though, so you might be better off hearing from someone who has actually used them in the field. I'm first and foremost a competitive shooter, and do far more of that type of shooting than I do hunting. Sounds like I may get to go on a moose hunt in Finland this next October, but I'm sure you can guess whose bullets I'll be using on that one! :)

Where are you writing from?

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.