FEDERAL .300RUMMY brass test

3sixbits

D&L SPORTS This was a great pleasure spinning this .300 RUM brass. It renewed my faith in an American manufacturer. If you shoot this cartridge or wildcat off of this case go no further in your quest for brass. I sat down with the 250 cases I received from Dave with the thought that I would be segregating cases by neck thickness into groups to be used in lots. This proved to be not the case, as they all ran within .0003". Case head square shows no movement on my NECO concentricity gauge. I spot checked necks using a Mitutoyo BMB3-1"V modified tubing mic. This brass has proven by my testing to spin as well as my LAUPA 6.5mm X.284 brass. I e-mailed Dave @ D&L to let him know how happy I am with this brass and he informed me he has a pallet of it. I think I will have to lay in more. It's always a good thing to have really great brass to start off a build with! So it a four star rating for FEDERAL with this brass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wish they had some 7 RUM cases or some unprimed ones! I guess I could take my depriming pin out and neck them down anyway. I would love to have some better brass! The last lot of remy brass I got had bad cases from the factory! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Does anyone know if I would need to turn those necks if I necked them down?? Thanks for the info 3six!

Has anybody checked to see how this compares with the Remington brass as far as pressure/velocity with the same loads? I'm guessing they use Federal 215 primers?

[ QUOTE ]
I wish they had some 7 RUM cases or some unprimed ones! I guess I could take my depriming pin out and neck them down anyway. I would love to have some better brass! The last lot of remy brass I got had bad cases from the factory! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Does anyone know if I would need to turn those necks if I necked them down?? Thanks for the info 3six!

[/ QUOTE ] 7RUMLOADER: Only if you are shooting a tight neck chamber to start with.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks 3sixbits! It's factory so it shouldn't be necessary right? Thanks again!

[/ QUOTE ] Knowing the dimensions of a rifles chamber is never a bad thing, especially a factory chamber. If you are the handy sort, you might want to do a chamber cast and get some valuable information for loading your ammo. Makes for less of a mystery when trying to fill that empty hole! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I got some from Dave a few weeks ago to build some 338 EDGE brass on, I have to agree with 3SB on the quality. I am looking foreward to testing it but wish it came unprimed also. Will post on the pressure / velocity vs. Rem brass

Dang, I just purchased 1,500 Remington once fired brass with the plans to sort them all by weight, run-out and neck thickness (and neck thickness consistency) using my Mitutoyo .0001 tube mic.

I agree with Bart Bobbit who writes:
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> Keep in
mind that uniforming case necks typically won't show any accuracy
improvement for factory chambers. Nor will any significant improvement
occur in most 'smithed chambers. The only time I've seen accuracy
improvement by uniforming neck wall thickness is when a top quality
match barrel is chambered with a top quality match reamer whose pilot
is a perfect fit to the bore diameter. This allows the chamber's neck
and throat to be perfectly centered on the bore axis. Uniforming neck
wall thickness definitely helps in these chambers.

Another thing about uniformed neck wall thickness is that the benefits
of such case preparation is typically nulled when conventional sizing
dies are used. The sizing die (neck or full-length) should <font color="red"> NOT use an expander ball; </font> those things bend case necks enough to mask any accuracy
improvement uniforming neck wall thickness might do.

</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
I have two 300 RUMS so need dbl the brass.
Should I sell all my Rem Brass on eBay and get the better Brass? Even if I get the Federal brass, I'll go thru the same sorting procedure (but it should be faster and give fewer but larger batches) - so how much advantage is there to the Federal Brass? Is brass life any better? Cost is really moot because the Rem brass is only 1/3rd $ each and I plan on reloading it max 4 times.

whats the big deal about buying the brass already primed? Its only one more step to add to yor initial case prep...
For the quality of the federal brass... its well worth the effort.

[ QUOTE ]
I got some from Dave a few weeks ago to build some 338 EDGE brass on, I have to agree with 3SB on the quality. I am looking foreward to testing it but wish it came unprimed also. Will post on the pressure / velocity vs. Rem brass

[/ QUOTE ] The only good part of a primed case is I never square the pockets till I get the first fire-form on the case. It's better in my opinion as the pockets seem to get a full cut after the first set back. As my forming loads will be stout, I think this is for me, the better course to follow.

B1g_bOre: I don't know who your friend Bart Bobbit is, but I agree with what he has to say. For me I would much rather get a good lot of brass. Lay in the stock of bullets that I will be using for that rifle barrel. Then seat my bullets (three) send them off to my reamer maker and have him do the reamers from the loaded dummy rounds. when you have the finisher and the resize reamers along with your head space gauge, well you just given the smith a real helping hand. You only have to have one set of dies made to burn out a lot of barrels. For me the .338 made from this case with a sharper shoulder and full length made be a good bet. I do know if you follow a prescription such as this you are well on the way to getting to where you want to go. I'm not saying this is the way for everybody, but I only want something built that has good brass to start with. I plan on using the 6.5X57 RWS cases for another build I'm planning because I understand this to be vary good brass to work from. I have 300 new REMINGTON cases here in the shop that belong to a friend. Spinning this brass will make you sick after you spin the FEDERAL. Something else I learned about this REMINGTON throat is that it's so long it would have made ROY WEATHERBY proud if he where alive to see it. I think the old hotrodders reframe holds true with rifles too, "how fast do you want to go?,How much money do you have to spend? I know it holds true with accuracy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.