Federal 215M substitute

Varmint Hunter

As everyone knows, Federal 215M primers have been impossible to find for quite some time now. I'd be happy to find the standard 215s but that isn't happening either.

What would be the most logical primer to use in place of the 215s for magnum cartridges; particularly 300RUM & 338RUM?

As everyone knows, Federal 215M primers have been impossible to find for quite some time now. I'd be happy to find the standard 215s but that isn't happening either.

What would be the most logical primer to use in place of the 215s for magnum cartridges; particularly 300RUM & 338RUM?

I know exactly what you mean. However, I am lucky enough to have a few on hand for future use. The Remington 9 1/2M and WLRM are the only ones I've seen in my LGS's shelves.

My go to primer is the CCI250 and and the 9 1/2M was my least favorite until last year when I developing loads for my .300 WSM with Berger 215s and RL-17. It is by all means not a good representative sample, conclusive, or a scientific test but I was very pleased with the end result and might be worth a try for you.

PRIMERS_zpstij017tm.jpg

1%20of%206_zps1pnobipu.jpg

(100 yards, rifle is factory Savage 11 FCNS)

The 9 1/2M load performed better at 200 yards and beyond so I stayed with it for the season and harvested a 4x4 muley at 425 yards. In short, I did not expect the 9 1/2M to perform as well as it did but it is something readily available in my LGS. I purchased a couple of bricks for future use. :D

Good luck!

Ed

The 215 match primers are becoming available. I picked up a carton at Grices in Clearfield Pa. on the 12th of this month, they received the delivery on the 11th.

Ron

The 215 match primers are becoming available. I picked up a carton at Grices in Clearfield Pa. on the 12th of this month, they received the delivery on the 11th.

Ron

That's good news. I've got a "Notify Me" status at several internet sites and none have contacted me yet. Lets hope the Federal flood gates open soon. :D

That's good news. I've got a "Notify Me" status at several internet sites and none have contacted me yet. Lets hope the Federal flood gates open soon. :D

Me too! I know it's asking a lot but I am hoping for other manufacturer's flood gates as well in , primers, brass, powders ... heck put .22 LR ammo on the list too. :cool:

What does everyone think of the Wolfe primers?

Standard and Magnum ...

Wolf is another primer that I have never seen on my LGS's shelves.

My gun shop owner talked me into buying some wolf large rifle primers and I used them to replace fed 210 m's and I'm glad I listened to him. I use them in 2506 with 57.5 grains of h- 1000 and it will shoot one ragged hole in 5 shot group at 100 yds He said that He expected to get some wolf lr mag primers that some of His shooting buddy's have used on a 600yd range and they also performed well as the large rifle primer did also

When reloading components started to get scarce I bought some large rifle and large rifle magnum Wolfe primers, just in case I ran out of Federal 210s and 215. That was all I could find at the time. Good to know they make a suitable replacement for Federals....

215's are "backorderable" at Cabelas right now with ETA shipping in 1-2 weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.