Federal 215m primers

bigeyedbass

Has any body ran into primers not going off while working up some loads I was into the third row in the box i had loaded up nine rounds at half grain increments went to the range had one fire out of nine have good indention ? Thanks Dan

Never had that problem with feds. I have had 2 misfires with Winchesters and about 50 misfires with Remington primers.

Thanks for the reply never had any problem before either not sure if i got a bad run going to try the other federal 215 not the match and see if that cures it

Derek How are you installing the primers? Are you sure you are seating them to the bottom of the primer pocket? If the primers are just seated flush and you have a weak firing pin spring you can get some misfires. Also do you touch the primers with your fingers? You should dump the primers from the primer box into your priming tool tray and never touch them. If you drop your primers onto a CLEAN dry surface to put them into your primer tube again don't touch them. If you put them on your priming arm one at a time I would suggest you wear a latex glove on the hand you use to place the primers onto the priming arm. Just the slightest amount of oil off of your skin can contaminate a primer and you get misfires.

I've never had a missfire from any primer, but I used a hand priming tool and primer trays and a thin transparent plastic card to handle them. Never ever ever touch primers with your fingers. Odd thing is they've gotten better about making primers more resilient to oils, but skin oils are the bane of primer function.

After a little more investigating I dont think it is the primers after all I think Im having a firing pin problem the ones that are going off have a sharp punch the one that arent going off have more of a round indention. I took my bolt a part and clraned it with brake cleaner and got a lot of black junk out of it i did have some excessive presure on a few loads before I started having problems. It is a model 700 with the ISS I dont like the way the spring is all wavy but I guess that is normal I have a new firing pin assembly from midway ordered Will let you know the results. DAN

I've done plenty of by hand handling of primers on older equipment I used before I got my own. Wash your hands first and you won't have trouble. I've gotten no misfires from oil in thousands of rounds loaded on that equipment. I still go by hand for test loads when I don't feel like breaking out the primer flipper and tubes. Heck, sometimes I break out the old lee seater, which is basically a recessed holder that you tap the primer in with a hammer using a rod ran through the case to transfer shock. Works fine if you watch what you're doing.

in the op's case, if a round has been struck in the primer, but didnt go off... does that now make the round more sensitive go going off by accident?

I've loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds over the last 40 years from every company and have never had a single primer not go off.. your seating them to deep or they are touching some oil somewhere along the line.. and that oil includes your hands!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.