Federal 215 primers & 338LAI

SHRTSHTR

Was wondering what primers you guys are using with the 338 Lapua improved? i have been running Gold Metal 215's but am getting in short supply of them. I have plenty of the regular 215's.

I am using Retumbo and getting pretty good results. Any other primer or powder I might try? Still developing loads. Thanks for looking.

I have a 338 Lap Imp and 215's is what I use. IMHO, I wouldn't give it a second thought to use 215's over 215M's. Again, IMHO, you won't find a bit of difference between the two.

Retumbo and US869, with the 300's, work pretty well. Some like H1000 and RL25 too.

B23,

Thanks for the reply. I have been a away for a couple days banging steel in Wyoming.
My 215's are magnum primers. I did not know what difference there is betwwen Gold Metal primers and standard Federal 215 magnum primers.

I supose that the Gold Metals are a little more cocsistant than the standards but that is only a guess on my part.

Retumbo seems to be doing the job. I am still in load development right now but should have solid results soon.

I too am having great results with Retumbo and Fed 215's in my 338 LAI.

That is, if 1.25" 3 shot groups at 565 yds is acceptable.

Nice shooting RockZ!. I shot my 338LAI for the 1st time at distance yesterday. I did not do near as well as you. I had a 5 shot group at 4.75 inches at 535 yards. Vertical dispersion was 1.1 inches. These were the last of my Virgin Lapua brass being fireformed. I now have 125 pieces of brass fireformed and ready for full charge loads and starting load development on the fireformed cases.

Oh yea, not making excuses but the wind blew all day long from my 7-9 Oclock position at 14-21 mph. I used my truck with camper to keep my spotting scope, rangefinder and camera from blowing over in the wind :D.

Sounds like you have a good load worked up. Low vertical dispersion is the key.
The wind definitely opened your groups ,but at least you know the load holds together at distance.

Nice work!

Thanks RockZ,

Unfortunetley I have to start all over with load development now that I have fireformed cases. At least I have a good starting load to work up with. Will have to find another accuracy node at the higher velocitiy's.

I have found US869 to be very stable in varying temps. Not as stable as a lot of the Extreme powders but very acceptable. I am not sure but I think US 869 is the old Thunderbird T-5020 which is the staple powder for the 30-378. I use US 869 in my 7MM STW with 180 VLD's and I get 3000fps with a 24" barrel. I plan to try it in my 338 Lapua with the 300 Hybrid as soon as I finish breaking in the barrel. I plan to post results when done with that combo.

US869 is an outstanding powder for the big 7's like the 7mm RUM.
It is was my go to powder in the 7 RUM, when I had one.
It has potential for the 338 LAI also.
I tried it and had good results but had better results with Retumbo.
Of course all rifles and loads are different.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.