Federal 210m vs 215m primers

samson

I have a few questions regarding the 2 primers. Is the 210m strong enough for the 300 WM? and (ON AVERAGE) what is the velocity difference? Ive heard some people say that the 210 will be more consistant in velocity?

In my experience, Federal primers are very hot. F210 is plenty hot enough to ignite very slow burning powder. Still, I have never had a problem with too hot a primer.
So you're good either way. :D

JM .02

I have a few questions regarding the 2 primers. Is the 210m strong enough for the 300 WM? and (ON AVERAGE) what is the velocity difference? Ive heard some people say that the 210 will be more consistant in velocity?

The 210 m will probably give you better standard deviations that the 215 .

The 215s work best on cartriges that use 90+ grains of powder because they are hotter
but on smaller cartriges they will cause the ES and SDs to be greater than the 210s normally.

So I would recomend using the 210 m and if not satisfied then try the 215 but reduce your
loads and work up.

J E CUSTOM

In my 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag, it seems like I lost about 35 fps MV with the 210s versus the 215s. I rememeber I had to add about 1-1.5 grains of powder when using the 210s to bring the MV back up to where it was with the 215s.

In general with my loads, I obtained lower ES and SD with the 210s. In one specific load, my rifle did better (ES & SD) with the 215s. But the tendency has been for the 210s to yield less ES and SD in that class cartridge. FWIW.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. This will help out since I have about 1000 of the 210's

The 210 m will probably give you better standard deviations that the 215 .

The 215s work best on cartriges that use 90+ grains of powder because they are hotter
but on smaller cartriges they will cause the ES and SDs to be greater than the 210s normally.

So I would recomend using the 210 m and if not satisfied then try the 215 but reduce your
loads and work up.

J E CUSTOM

What's es and ds?
I got 215 primers for my 308 and was questioning if it was overkill (pretty sure it is) but more afraid of too much pressure since I just read Lee recommends using slower burning powder with magnum primers I'm using Varget.
Pressure conserns legitimate or my imagination?

What's es and ds?
I got 215 primers for my 308 and was questioning if it was overkill (pretty sure it is) but more afraid of too much pressure since I just read Lee recommends using slower burning powder with magnum primers I'm using Varget.
If you start at bottom listed charge you will be alright, but a 308 win is a bit small for a 215 unless you are lighting ballc2 or similar.
As to 215's in a 300win, it is all I will use as I hunt with it and it needs to go off when I pull the little lever on the bottom. I hunt in nasty temps some years, and if I'm over 70 gr of powder I won't use a standard primer even if the load is more uniform. I don't have a pet gorilla to drive the bullet out if it squibs on me, so I hit it hard to start with. Don't think a squib will never happen; I've seen it with both shotgun and pistol with listed loads when the temp. gets cold enough. It's a bit easier to drive a bullet(or wad) out of one of those than a 300 win so I don't fool around.

What's es and ds?
Extram spread and standard devation

Thanks for the input. My concern was I was giving my bullet more of a kick than a push if giving my powder too much ignition (again my imagination not my wisdom) and therefore more pressure.

My test yesterday was in line with another comment about backing off a grain or so. I went back to start grains (42) and began climbing. This solved an accuracy issue that may have stemed from too hot a primer; the results were that the start grains were by far more accurate. 43-44 grains started scattering a bit, maybe I could increase my load if I use the 210 primers? I guess I will find out once I get some and try.

Again I appreciate the help, I'm new to reloading and need all the advice I can get.

How about that es and ds someone mentioned which was more common with 215s?
What is that?

Thanks I'll look into this.
I have some telling me 215 is fine for 308, but I want real science not redneck wisdom so I appreciate the help.
It depends on the powder and what you are using it for. It's not "redneck wisdom". There is a method to the madness on this.
I wouldn't use a mag. primer for easy to light powders(single base stick) in normal temperature ranges in a 308, but with "ball" powder or extreme temperatures it's just fine. You need to work up the load with the mag primers to start with though. If you are using an auto in 308, you need to be using mil-spec cci primers in it for 100% reliability, and those are cci mags with a stiff cup.
I shoot in cold temperatures a lot, so I will sacrifice a bit of sd for assurance that the powder will light no matter what.

That all sounds good to me thanks for the help.

I would define "redneck wisdom" as when people WON'T listen to others and think the first thing they were ever told is right and you can't teach them anything. I am around some hard headed know it alls and it drives me crazy they are trying to teach when they need to be learning.

I love this forum because I don't believe that's what's going on here you all sound like you really know what you are talking about thanks for the help.

Do a quick search here for accurate loads for the 300 winchester. I'm sure they list which primers they're using.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.