Federal 209A primers

I've seen a few of these primers available. Are they good primers to run behind Blackhorn 209? I've always had CCI, but getting pretty low on supplies
The Fed 209A and CCI mag primers are the regularly recommended primers for BlackHorn209. Other 209 primers may work but may be less reliable. "Muzzleloading" specific 209 primers are NOT recommended for BH209.

I've used over 4lbs of BH209 combined out one .45 and one .50 caliber Knight Elite and one .50 caliber T/C Encore and only ever use Federal 209A primers. At 110 grains by weight of BH209 each shot that equates to 254 shots using BH209 and Federal 209A primers.
Never had a single issue, failure to ignite or hang fire.

I don't know if this has any application or not but prior to making the switch to BH209, I have shot at least 1500 loads out of my first run T/C Encore using 150 grains of pelletized Pyrodex RS (three 50 grain pellets) using about 90% Winchester 209 primers and 10% CCI 209 primers. Then later switched to and used another three+ pounds worth of 3-F 777 powder, again using about 90% Winchester 209 and 10% CCI 209's. I wont say I NEVER had a single problem using pelletized Pyrodex or 3-F 777 but I honestly can not ever recall having a single issue with either.

I made the switch to Federal 209's for use with BH209 as they were determined to be the hottest burning 209 out there and I was already using them in my 10ML-II.

I will caution the Federal 209's are measurably larger in height than either my Winchester or CCI 209's (at least the ones I measured I used thus far from the lot of 5K I bought) and have difficulty fitting low enough in the breach plug of my T/C Encores and I have difficulty closing my Encore and this has been the case with every breach plug I have used in my Encore. If I used Winchester of CCI 209's in my Encore it has no issued closing. For that reason, I only use Winchester 209's in my Encore and Knight's.

Last edited:

Recent Posts