Favourite .257 weatherby projectile

Calvin45

Attn handloading .257 wby shooters: I just got myself one of these, Twas on my cartridge bucket list for a long time.

What bullets have come to be your favourite in this caliber and if you care to share stories of their successful usage please do!

Attn handloading .257 wby shooters: I just got myself one of these, Twas on my cartridge bucket list for a long time.

What bullets have come to be your favourite in this caliber and if you care to share stories of their successful usage please do!
100 ttsx. 100 swift. 110 ab. Anything you feed it will put a smile on your face. 😎

It all depends on twist. For 1:10 barrels, I like the 100 TTSX. It's not an ideal long-range bullet, but pretty deadly out to 500 yards. Without a 1:7 or 1:8 barrel it's hard to do much better. I've tried ABs but didn't like what they did to game at those velocities.

For the extreme speed of this cartridge, monolithics are hard to beat.

Last edited:
I'd have to say the Nosler 100gr ballistic tip, not saying it's the best, It's just the one I like the most over the years when I was shooting the .257 Wby Mag. Cheers

It all depends on twist. For 1:10 barrels, I like the 100 TTSX. It's not an ideal long-range bullet, but pretty deadly out to 500 yards. Without a 1:7 or 1:8 barrel it's hard to do much better. I've tried ABs but didn't like what they did to game at those velocities.

For the extreme speed of this cartridge, monolithics are hard to beat.
Thanks, makes sense. This isn't to be a true long range rig, my 300 Winnie with 225 eld ms is way better for that…but it's heavy. This is to be a lighter carrying more convenient point blank range kind of hunting rig. Should shine for that

Oh, I should have probably added that the best hunting bullet, until it was discontinued, was the Branes coated 100gr XLC BT in my 257 Wby Mag's still can't figure out why Barnes dropped it, great velocity, and the accuracy, well... it was top-tier. You know the same thing could be said for Barnes coated 50gr .22 cal VLC bullets that I use in my 224 Wby Mag, luckily I bought those pretty deep before they discontinued them. Just my 0.2 Cheers

I've heard they were really severe…as in your rifle loved the xlc more than anything else or it plain hated it! The tsx is more forgiving I've heard. I just thought those blue bullets looked so dang cool! Even cooler than the ballistic silver tip! 🤣

I made a sort of analog to the xlc for use in my 243 once my boys are old enough to hunt and shoot. I bought 300 of the long discontinued 75 grain "x bullet" in 6mm on an auction and have treated them with HBN (hex boron nitride). Should be pretty effective for deer hunting with laser flat to 350 yards trajectory and basically no recoil with assurance of penetration and expansion on account of the velocity attained. The perfect load to get them started haha.

I've heard they were really severe…as in your rifle loved the xlc more than anything else or it plain hated it! The tsx is more forgiving I've heard. I just thought those blue bullets looked so dang cool! Even cooler than the ballistic silver tip! 🤣

I made a sort of analog to the xlc for use in my 243 once my boys are old enough to hunt and shoot. I bought 300 of the long discontinued 75 grain "x bullet" in 6mm on an auction and have treated them with HBN (hex boron nitride). Should be pretty effective for deer hunting with laser flat to 350 yards trajectory and basically no recoil with assurance of penetration and expansion on account of the velocity attained. The perfect load to get them started haha.
Agree, with both of my rifles, .22 and .25 shooting clover leaves with them.
Cheers

Have tried several different bullets/manufactures through my 257 wby (1:7 twist). Berger 115 VLD groups nicely, as well as the Hornady 110 ELDX. Currently working on load development for the Berger 133 ELite Hunter bullet - and liking it so far. Have tried a number of the Nosler bullets as well, but my rifle never would group these ballistic tip bullets very well

Recent Posts