Votes: 51 19.4%
  • 23-24”

Votes: 86 32.7%
  • 25-26”

Votes: 109 41.4%
  • 27”+

Votes: 10 3.8%

• Total voters
I think a 20" is good for the dark timber and a true mountain rifle - long barrels are difficult for me in the timber.
In the western plains I think 26" is were it's at if the cartridge chosen can utilize it.
So I voted middle of the road at 23-24"
What he said x100 In the jungles (yes we have them in the west) I take a 22" as soon as I hit the mountains/more open I take a 26". I hunt off horses and on foot....no interest at all in trying to tote around some 30" 15lb bench rest rifle hunting.

Don't forget that big phat 5-7 round clip that hangs up on scabbards and everything else
Hahaha......my brothers family nephew hunts with a CA Modern Precision. Yeah, no go and would hang up on the trees over his shoulder. Finally crammed it in (we use horizontal not verticle) and tied the back of it up to the rear cinch D ring.

My 29 inch 270 AI or 30 inch 30-378 only bothered me deer hunting when walking on game trails with low branches. Because when you bend over the barrel is still way above your head and and I got snagged a few times over the years.

It has been my experience that you only have one shot at the title and the extra HP that comes with length. One shot kills are the norm aren't they? :)

Very early on before the ballistic tipped bullets I hunted with SPBT highest BC bullets. one shot out of the barrel and when you unloaded the magazine all the moly coated were smashed flat on the tip from recoil. There went the tip for high BC. So long rounds which turn the rifle into a single shot was the best option.

The other thing is when you are out hunting big game it's fun to varmint hunt all day long. Ground squirrels , PD's, Jack Rabbits, coyotes. You drive a long way you have to have a fun time. Even take a shot gun to bird hunt because the seasons over lap

Depends. Long range 338 Allen Xpress 31" barrel
Mid range 30-06 26" barrel
Up close 357 magnum 20"