Favorite Varmint Bullet

I can't speak to being fur friendly... but I have had great success with the eld-m line of bullets (and previously the a-max). High BC's at the upper end of bullet weight, and explosive upon contact. I'm currently using them in a 223 and 22-250 with awesome terminal performance of groundhogs. Have used a-max (basically same bullet with the older style tip) in 6mm and 30 cal with same performance.

Agree with the above statement claiming the 70-grain bullets seem to be the "sweet spot" for 6mm varmint bullets; I use either Sierra Blitzkings or Nosler Ballistic Tips in that weight. Regarding the Hornady V-Max: IME - similar to performance in the smaller calibers - they tend to splash more with less penetration before breaking up, on the firmer body areas of critters.

The other bullets I use in my bigger varmint rifles, 6.5-7mm, are Berger hunting VLD's. These bullets have turned marmots inside out at 800 yds and expanded sufficient for quick kills to 1400 yds.

SBK accurate as heck with good BC's for caliber...………..in a .204 they take a coyote out DRT well over 400 yards (39 gr. SBK)
I agree, my CZ heavy barrel 204 Ruger with the single set trigger is my favorite varmint rifle it likes the 39 grain Sierra's as well. 1/3" MOA. Prairie dog with nothing but his his head showing at 250 yards, no worries.

The 6mm 87 VMax is my favorite heavy rodent bullet. It works well in 8 to 10 twist rifles. Despite its modest G1 BC of .4, when driven out of my 10 twist 6mm AI at just under 3,500 it's good for 600 yards plus with moderate 4-7 mph breezes. The .224 75 ELDM is real close and I shoot them at 3250 from a .22-.250, cheaper to shoot, increased ballistic finesse, less blast, 11.5 grains less powder, $10-$12 less per 100 but lacks the splat effect. For a 6mm of any type I would go for the 87 VMax. I use nothing else in my 10 twist 6mm AI.

I am building a 6mm ARC which i plan on using for varmint hunting. What is your favorite varmint bullet and why?

What's your barrel twist ... and ... do you care about saving fur?

If you're an 8twist barrel - you'll likely have better results sticking with the 70gr and up bullets ... Personally, I like the 75g VMAX - it is a groundhog eliminating laser beam out of my 6mmBR.

I also like the 87g VMAX but for whatever reason, my rifle just didn't seem to want them ... I gave my remaining 87's to my dad and he is using them in his 6BR with exceptional results.

If you want to minimize pelt damage to save fur, a varmint bullet may not be your best option - unless you go Uber light and Uber fast so they enter and blow up internally ... 55g Nosler's at 3600 and up will do this as will 58g VMAX ... if you can't get the velocities you need for those (and it will be tough with an ARC at 18" length) you may need to go to a target/match bullet known for punching "pencil holes" instead.