Favorite Varmint Bullet

I like the V-max as well as the 70 and 80 grain Ballistic tips. From 400 and in the 70 grain B-tip seems to be the sweet spot for velocity and BC. Fly better than the 55s and gets much better velocity than the 80+ grainers. They do make a red sticky mess of the far side though if you are shooting yotes, coons, or fox. Past 400 the wind really starts to beat em up, but for me I struggle much past 400 in the wind anyway.

alyef, you didn't say what the build will be; an AR or bolt rifle? If I were doing a bolt rifle, I'd go for the 6 Creedmoor over the ARC. I have several and LOVE that round for just about every kind of hunting, except the bigger mule deer and up. If you are going for long range whackin, you get more "horsepower" with the CM and hardly any more recoil. Extremely accurate, easiest round to reload, factory ammo (used to be) is more available, I think. (These days ain't hardly any ammo or components available. )

I am working on an AR 6 ARC with an 18" barrel. The 6 Creedmoor overbore index seems high but the 6 ARC overbore index is around 850 ... i think. I plan on using this rifle for many things including coyote hunting

Last edited:
Again, bolt rifle or AR platform? I shoot the 6 CM to 1000 yards and it is beating any of the larger cals. The 6 Daser is becoming another fav of the LR shooters, but it's a full wildcat. I don't have ANY trouble running a 108 gr to 3000fps and 1/4 MOA at 100. Gets the job done very easy to 1000. To be honest, I really don't have any experience with the ARC, but lots with the CM. Seriously, if a bolt rifle build, I'd highly recommend the CM.

Aaaa. Well, it does take an AR10 for the 6 CM. I have a 6.5 Grendel in an AR15 and it's very nice. A well built AR15 in 6 ARC will be very nice. Don't forget to thread it and shoot suppressed! SOOO much sweeter!

I have more than one
But
Easily the one I have shot the most of, several thousand Hornady 22 caliber SPSX 50gr bullets.
use them in multiple 22centerfires. From 221 Fireball to slowed down 22-250
I would love to know how many I have sent down the barrel of several 222s that I have owned
Those flat base bullets are deadly on woodchucks out to 250 yards or so....difficult to get shots much further out around here