favorite reticle for long range shooting?

Dr. John

I will be picking up a sendero 300rum soon. looking for a leupold scope. either 6.5-20 or 8.5-25 varX III. what is the preferred scope reticle for long range shots 600+ yards? mil dot, target dot, standard crosshair? I hear the mil dots can be too large for long range shooting.

..Hey Doc.. Hang tight for just a little while and Leupold is coming out with a couple of interesting new reticles.. I guess NightForce finally lit a fire under their collected arse's.!! Hehehe... d:^) JiNC

My favorite it the NF R2, but it seems Leupold missed the mark on the opportinity to one up them and use a 1 moa consistant spacing on the B&C or Varmint reticle. At least it appears that way. Looks like another BDC reticle unevenly spaced and calibrated for something.

I doubt we'll hear what the spacing really is between the bars, likely a cartridge or BC and speed it's calibrated for is all. I hope I'm wrong.

I think the mildot is still the 2nd most versitile reticle, but the best one lupy has right now. It is calibrated and offers multiple hold points, still lacks what the R2 offers though.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.