favorite powders for a 6mm-284(1-8/30")

wannabee

So far I've tried rl-22 and H4831 w/ mixed results. I've since skim-bedded the HS Precision stock and wondered what you guys have used as your favorite powder for this chambering. As posted my Rem wears a 30" Lilja stainless barrel w/ a 1-8 twist( I'm using Sierra 107 MKings. Thanks

JustC

why not try the Lapua 139gr or Sierra 142gr with the 8 twist? just a thought.

I have only tried 4350 in my 6.5-06AI with the 8 twist, and testing/load formulating is unfinished.

Jake in NC

.. Just for a heads-up.. There's a neat section on this cartridge in "A Varmint Hunter's Odyssey" by Steve Hanson.. Great all-around book, IMO... d:^) JiNC

ackleyguy

Reloader 22 works very well in mine...I have a 1-8 twist Douglas 1.250 the whole way...finished @ 30"in a PUG rifle stock(the action is clamped(kinda sleeved) and the bbl touches nothing) I shoot a moly coated Sierra 107 MK @ 3450 with a fed 210 primer. I have played a bit with Reloader 25...velocity was good and accurracy almost the same but, better with the Reloader 22.. I can go to about 3550 F/sec with this bbl however, the gun shoots best @ 3450 F/sec...I have killed a few hogs at 1520 and 1580yds with this load and it works well...only trouble...conditions have to b pretty dry in order 4 u to see the bullet splash at ranges overv 1000 or so...good luck and I think you will find this a great little cartridge...

wannabee

ackley guy, I've also found that 3550 is max w/ my barrel. Sometimes accuracy was very good(3/4"@200 yds.) but sometimes it wasn't that good 1 1/2"@200yds. I've pushed the 107 gr MK to 3650fps w/ 57 gr rl22 but the bullet came apart. I'll try loading down a little, and see if that doesn't help. right now I'm at 3550 w/ 56.5 gr rl22 and a ccibr2 primer.

wannabee

Just C, you've misread my post title. It's a 6mm/284 not a 6.5/284. no biggee

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce