favorite powder for 45-70 modern loads?

I want and have been wanting h4198 for years and just gave up on it! I have 2 marlins (cb & sbl remlins) purchased in '17 and only shoot bullets from 250-350gr. 1680 has been my go-to with imr4198 2nd. Might be trying vv 120-135 range.

There is a guy I have not met but folks I know trust him well and they tell me that used to shoot competition long range with old Sharps and custom Sharp look a like's at Big Timber Montana and owns many 45-70 rifles along with many custom rifles.
He says accuracy in his rifles depend on something BrBa said,"Case Fill".He says he had some accuracy problems early and some old timers that they shot with bullets compressed,never loose.If the powder charge has accuracy potential,even if not compressed he would prime and load the case and then put corn meal in until he had a mildly compressed load and it always outshot the loose loaded rounds.
Anyone ever heard of that before?B S or truth?

There is a guy I have not met but folks I know trust him well and they tell me that used to shoot competition long range with old Sharps and custom Sharp look a like's at Big Timber Montana and owns many 45-70 rifles along with many custom rifles.
He says accuracy in his rifles depend on something BrBa said,"Case Fill".He says he had some accuracy problems early and some old timers that they shot with bullets compressed,never loose.If the powder charge has accuracy potential,even if not compressed he would prime and load the case and then put corn meal in until he had a mildly compressed load and it always outshot the loose loaded rounds.
Anyone ever heard of that before?B S or truth?
I haven't tried COW in any manner, but have thought about other ways to fill the case that would burn up upon firing. Haven't figured it all out yet. Also working on non-carbon bases propellant that doesn't explode, but expands then dissipates leaving 0 residue. It's challenging!

I have heard of the corn meal additive before and a friend years ago used it in a reduced load in a 45-90.A full house loaded 45-90 is a hand full so he reduced it and topped it off with corn meal.The only thing was when he shot that rifle it smelled like corn bread cooking!Not a bad smell at all.
Dinner's served before the animal's dead 🤣
Bored Cabin Fever GIF

Have not used V V powders.Got to change that as they are available and that's important!
I've used VV133 with great success: Fed 210M/53.0 grs/Speer or Barnes original 400 gr bullet = 1.25" groups @ 1800+ fps. An excellent load for any horned game in Africa (except Cape buffalo or Rhino), big bears in Alaska, and all the critters in N.Z. Been there, done that.

Oops, didn't mention the rifles for that load: M95 Marlin, Ruger #1, Ruger #3. If you use that load in the Ruger #3, bring lots of aspirin and absolutely stay as far away from your 'scope as you can get! I bought the M95 in 1972 while living in Alaska and have subsequently killed 57 big game animals with a total of 62 shots all over the world.

Years ago I worked up a load for 350 gr Hornady RN bullets using H322 and have never tried any other powder. I was getting around 1850 fps and 1 inch groups with open sights at 50 yards out of my early model Marlin 1895! It was a great load back then and would use the same powder now!

Hy all
Hodgon website says best powder 300 gr is N120 . Heavier I don't know but here some data vithvouri

Attachments

• IMG_8452.png
    IMG_8452.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 14
ups sorry - Not hodgon website says it was Barnes website .my mistake sorry . And about full cases or compressed loads I think it s the most consistent burn of powder. I loaded 300wm with 84,5 Retumbo and on top 168 gr Barnes tsx - and messured speed with LabRadar .a guy wich see it said surprised that I have less spreed in speed then he have with his benchrest loads.