Favorite Loads for 270 AM?

magicofmt

What are your favorite loads, powder and primers for this gun. I have one ordered, can't wait, have some free time now and want to start loading. Will be shooting Richards 169.5 gr bullets. Do I need to wait to see what the seating depth will be for that gun? Anyone have Win brass in 300 RUM? Not a Rem brass fan.

Thanks for your help.

Yeah, me too! I'm thinking that the load data the Kirby has worked up for this gun is probably going to be dialed in...but I probably will do some playing around with it too. I can't wait to get mine and start hammering at looooong range!

In my original 270 AM test rifle and the one I still currently own and use, I load 100.0 gr WC872 under the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT which is good for 3250 fps.

This rifle is chambered with the old chamber design. All the current rifles have a much tighter chamber so you will be able to get more out of the chambering such as what Bill has listed. 3400 fps is generally a safe top load with this chambering and that bullet and you will generally get it at about 104.0 gr of powder depending on lot of powder.

I will be testing the new US869 very soon in this and all the Allen Magnum chamberings. If it is as temp change resistant as advertised it will be very hard NOT to use this powder. Should be similiar to 872 in burn rate but will post data when I get it tested as will Bill and Lerch I am sure as they will also be testing this powder.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen

[ QUOTE ]
I will be testing the new US869 very soon in this and all the Allen Magnum chamberings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember to use some of the new bonded 200gr Wildcats. The 7mm fan club is waiting and watching. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Should be similiar to 872 in burn rate but will post data when I get it tested as will Bill and Lerch I am sure as they will also be testing this powder.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 8lb jug I am currently using as a pillow until the weekend rolls around!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Take it easy
steve

Finally have my new toy from Ft Shaw and Kirby, what a blast!!! Pictures and tests soon to come.

Bill B, what bullet do you fireform with with the 97 gr of WC872? Don't want to use up all my 169.5 gr from Richard!

That is what we used. You can get great accuracy from the fireforming loads so dont be scared to use them, they can be a lot of fun.

I think we had around 3100-3200fps on our fireforming loads and they would group very nicely.

show us some pics

steve

Thanks lerch and Bill B for your responses. Another question, if you don't mind. What is your cartridge OAL? I have been at 3.680" and see Kirby was at 3.775" on another post.
I only have 35 fireformed pieces of brass, can't wait to get lauching them long range after barrel break in. I'll get pictures in the next day or two, I'll start another post under equipment reviews. Thanks again for your help!

We load them .010 off the lands to start with and then tweak it from there to tighten groups up, but you may not need too.

steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.