Favorite Hunting clothing brand advice!!!

When i started deer hunting in 1947, the most popular hunting outfit was made by Woolrich in a small N C PA town called Woolrich.
When it rained it got heavy, but it still kept me warm.
By the time i was 40 my Woolrich outfit had shrunk so much it no longer fit me.
So i bought an Eddie Bauer goose down set of bib overall pants and a parka.
They were much nicer to wear as for weight, but not warm when wet.
I later bought a pair of Woolrich wool bibs, and on cold days still use the down parka.
Over a very good pair of military insulated long johns.
But i also found that its actually best for me is to stay in Florida all year long.
It's a shame that they don't really make their wool hunting sets anymore. I'm fortunate enough to live close to the factory store so I go get the wool material and have a custom seamstress make what I want now.

It's a shame that they don't really make their wool hunting sets anymore. I'm fortunate enough to live close to the factory store so I go get the wool material and have a custom seamstress make what I want now.
Im sorta surprised that the store is still open.
It could be ten years since ive been there, and there were very few hunting clothes on display then.
Johnson woolens in Vermont make some nice clothes also, and they have a nice store as well.

Muddy- Give Pnuma a look...

I too have multiple brands. Sitka Puffys in two different weights and their vest is the bomb too. Kuiu gets the nod for rain gear which doubles a shell. Have just purchased a few pieces from Pnuma. Their waypoint pants and coat. Very pleased so far and many many sizes. Wait for the black friday sale usually 30% off or better can be had. My wool, fleece lined pants from LL Bean have finally worn out and I got some Sitka Stratus fleece pants with wind stopper. Butter soft and wonderfully warm for the weight. Deadly quiet too.

Good luck! With today's gear there is no reason to be cold or miserable.

FORLOH is winning me over. Made in USA
I was looking for a quality base layer for a late season elk hunt this year and decided to buy Forloh.
This morning it was about 10 degrees with the windchill and I dressed in my hunting gear and me and the dog took our hike.
The Forloh base layers are worth the money. I wouldn't think something that light would be that warm but they are. And made in the USA is a plus in my book.

Hello again all!

I figured I would post again for advice. My backpack questions were fully answered and greatly appreciated!!!! Got to look at Seek, Glaicer, kuiu and mystery ranch. Heading to Boise in April to EXO so I can check them out and will be back with my decision.

Anyway, back on topic,…. Sorry saw a squirrel,…. Down 35lbs thus far and counting. Looking to donate my rivers west stuff to a needy person soon and re-gear up my hunting items. Bought a set of Sitka traverse on sale, like them a lot! Haven't had much experience with their more insulated clothing. Bought a first lite sweatshirt to try out and see how I like it as well. Buddies rave over kuiu.

What say all of you? Looking for solid real life experience with Sitka, Kuiu and First Lite. I will be mainly day hiking the hills of North Eastern Wa and Western Montana this fall. I plan on taking October 12 to November 12 off to reboot myself and finally enjoy the fruits of my labor! Once again, don't really care about the cost. Looking for warm, wind proof and reliable gear. My rivers west stuff isn't the greatest. I like my under armour pants better but they are friggin noisy! Thanks again community and look forward to the feedback!!!!

PS - Crispi boots are the S#!T! Like tennis shoes that climb rocks! Even for a 275lb 13 EE guy!!!!
what did you decide?

i too am a big guy 6'2 275.
we started with Cabellas gortex gear till they leaked, gortex just desintegrated , zippers broke, tore etc.We called them animal skins.

i been buying Kuiu since before 2015, as my orders go back on their site.
started with marino wool base layers(yes,i still wear them!l)
went to mid layers, favorite are their base camp fleece , then to jackets. Kutana soft shell rocks!
I just ordered a Kutana Gale Force 3x. for a step up from their super down pro.

Isn't Sitka "old Kuiu" designed by the same person who came out with a better line called Kuiu then sold to Sitks to Gortex!?

Kuiu all the way for me! Yes, they are pricey but i never had a piece i didn't like except for their socks. (no, i dont work for Kuiu either lol.)

i even buy their gloves! if there is something out there "better" i sure would like to know about it?

Last edited:
I'm moving to more Made in USA stuff. I have some Origin now, Blackstone also, and really like it. I will be getting more Origin, I feel better supporting fellow Americans as they make quality goods. Darn Tough for socks for me now, I've tried almost everything and keep coming back to them.

I have a lot of Kifaru packs too, bomb proof. EXO is great also.

For foreign made stuff, I like some KUIU but even the 3X is barely broad enough in the shoulders. I love the Attack pant material, but the pocket layout is beyond frustrating...I won't get anymore... I have some Canis, it's been impressing me so far, very well thought out. We are fortunate to be living in such times, where excellent gear is plentiful.

Hello again all!

I figured I would post again for advice. My backpack questions were fully answered and greatly appreciated!!!! Got to look at Seek, Glaicer, kuiu and mystery ranch. Heading to Boise in April to EXO so I can check them out and will be back with my decision.

Anyway, back on topic,…. Sorry saw a squirrel,…. Down 35lbs thus far and counting. Looking to donate my rivers west stuff to a needy person soon and re-gear up my hunting items. Bought a set of Sitka traverse on sale, like them a lot! Haven't had much experience with their more insulated clothing. Bought a first lite sweatshirt to try out and see how I like it as well. Buddies rave over kuiu.

What say all of you? Looking for solid real life experience with Sitka, Kuiu and First Lite. I will be mainly day hiking the hills of North Eastern Wa and Western Montana this fall. I plan on taking October 12 to November 12 off to reboot myself and finally enjoy the fruits of my labor! Once again, don't really care about the cost. Looking for warm, wind proof and reliable gear. My rivers west stuff isn't the greatest. I like my under armour pants better but they are friggin noisy! Thanks again community and look forward to the feedback!!!!

PS - Crispi boots are the S#!T! Like tennis shoes that climb rocks! Even for a 275lb 13 EE guy!!!!
First Lite, Sitka and Kuiu are all great. Sitka has an edge IMO with their very cold weather gear, I mean stand hunting below 20 degrees with 15 to 30 mph winds. I run Kuiu for all of my western hunts, rain gear and insulation. It has been dependable and hasn't let me down from British Columbia to New Mexico. I haven't tried the Stone Glacier gear.