• Spear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blowgun

• other

• Total voters

FrankD90

So I'm getting my hog hunting rigs set up for this year and I was curious to see what everyone else uses?

I myself use a Marlin 45-70 and .45 Colt cowboy rifle. For more serious hunts I like to use my 6.5 Grendel but I'm going to be selling that off soon for a bolt action. Not because the round isn't capable, just because I miss the action of a Rem 700.

Frank

I use my AR15 in a 223, setup over a bait area at night with a Digital night scope, use a Tripod and shoot behind the ear in the neck, watch them drop. You have a 6.5 Grendel it is very good for dropping hogs.

Sorry I'm not sure why the poll isn't working. I do love the 6.5 Grendel, but I'm going to sell that and go back to 30-06 as I just got myself some new reloading equipment.

For close shots (0 to 200 yards I like the 450 Bushmaster in an AR platform. Any rifle larger than 223 if hogs don't present a good shot is good at distances out to 3 or 400 yards. beyond that, I prefer the 7 STW and have taken hogs beyond 800 yards.

Each hunting situation may need different cartridges, so depending where and how far the shots will be I choose the cartridges Maximum range and impact values. Running shots are a different beast and relies on the shooters skills.

The big pistols are also viable with range limits and shooter skills.

J E CUSTOM

Home built 6.5 Grendel with a Pulsar thermal on top. Black Hole Weaponry 18" barrel. These were at about 100 to 102 yards.
20160529_115354.jpg
!cid__741FA26E5301264CA77A29F93F44CFF1@sct-15-1-789-14-msonline-outlook-ade8c.jpg

Last edited:
I've used my 6.8 spc's, 450 BM, and 44 mag. I've used several 223's / 556's. All have worked pretty good. The 6.8 spc is the only one I've used at night with NV set up on it. All shots were within 100 yards. The 44 mag was 45 yards out.

So I'm getting my hog hunting rigs set up for this year and I was curious to see what everyone else uses?

I myself use a Marlin 45-70 and .45 Colt cowboy rifle. For more serious hunts I like to use my 6.5 Grendel but I'm going to be selling that off soon for a bolt action. Not because the round isn't capable, just because I miss the action of a Rem 700.

Frank

Cannot get the poll to work? What is the formula?

Similar to above, AR-10 in .308, with Trijicon, green laser designator above, and white light under barrel. It will handle lots of stuff and had an extra AR10 anyway. It does come out a bit muzzle heavy but not excessively.

I have used .308 Win (Remington 700) and a .243 Win (Remington 700). And if I am shooting from a blind, at night, over a feeder with green LEDs, I'm thinking the 'future' hunts will be with a .300 Blackout running subsonic ammo and taking only head shots. I have a Ruger American and an AR-15 in that caliber to choose from. I like the semi-auto for quick follow-up shots BUT the bolt action is much quieter to load in the blind. Letting the bolt fly forward on an AR makes a lot of noise. Banging a long mag on the wooden blind also makes noise. The bolt gun is just quieter and safer to run from the blind FOR ME. If I'm on the ground, the semi-auto gets the nod.

If I was one of those dudes shooting hogs from a helicopter, I think the AR-10 in .308 or .338 Federal would be just the ticket.

FrankD90, I think ALL your choices would work just great for hogs (Marlin 45-70, .45 Colt cowboy rifle, 6.5 Grendel, and Rem 700 in .30-06.) Just shoot the hogs more forward in the chest than you would a deer. Hog lungs don't seem to extend back quite as far. (See related hog hunting threads on this forum for more details, such as this one: https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/hogs-double-tapm.219342/)