Favorite elk rifle

30 Nosler. ClymR with a 22" barrel. Mark 5 5-25 on top. 8lbs 3oz. Shooting the 215 Berger's at 2812fps.
2C7EDBF8-079E-48C8-8E4B-D9B2324A46DA.jpeg

Weatherby Mark 5 Stainless Fluted in 300 Weatherby shooting 180 grain Nosler Partitions. Killed 10 elk and 12 or 13 mule deer with it. Animals know when they've been hit with the BEE!

I have three elk rifles:

1. Left Hand 338 Winchester Magnum Browning ABolt with the muzzle tuner with a Steiner 2-10x scope mounted in Burris zrings
2. Left Hand 270 Short Magnum Winchester Model 70 with a Steiner 2-10x scope mounted in Burris zrings re-barrelled last year
3. Customized 1917 Enfield 30-06, customized in the late 1970's, ears gone, belly gone, new old stock barrel 3 years ago. Now keepsake rifle

Going out again this year to Northeast Utah, have yet to connect. Getting old is the pits.... now over 70
I've got my eye on a 1917 Sporter in 358 Barnes Supreme, 26 in bbl. I had one in 06 with 18in bbl and mannlicher stock, beautiful rifle.

Well...I couldn't leave "well enough alone". I sold the 300WM Mesa to buy a pristine Kimber 84L Classic ( really nice wood) in .270 (24"bbl) and a couple weeks later, sold the 6.5 Creedmoor I had to buy a Bergara B14 Hunter in 300WM. I just like those 300 Mags! ha I have no problem using a .270, but I like having a heavy hitter too. Just a quirk of mine...:)

Well...I couldn't leave "well enough alone". I sold the 300WM Mesa to buy a pristine Kimber 84L Classic ( really nice wood) in .270 (24"bbl) and a couple weeks later, sold the 6.5 Creedmoor I had to buy a Bergara B14 Hunter in 300WM. I just like those 300 Mags! ha I have no problem using a .270, but I like having a heavy hitter too. Just a quirk of mine...:)
I love nice wood....not practical but I'm a sucker for it!

I've hunted for 40 years with wood stocked rifles. I've never had a problem getting that meat to the freezer. About 30 years ago I discovered what makes most wood stocked rifles inaccurate... improperly sealed wood. I started then properly glass bedding and completely sealing the stock on my old rifles. Never had an issue. I suppose if my rifle fell off a cliff and the stock broke....but then the scope would probably be trash too, and the barrel or action bent...... Wonder what makes a wood stock impractical

Why is wood not practical?
Maybe "not practical" isn't the right term! I just hate scratching up a nice stock......and I have a lot of hunters that bring wood stocked rifles into camp that haven't been bedded/floated and have had issues with bad weather changing poi. I usually end up loaning them one of my rifles when this is the case!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.