Favorite deer rifle

I overhauled my old savage 270 into a 6.5-06 and hunted with in last fall. It made use of all the old .270 brass I had once fired laying around and made a sweet rifle. Pushes 90gr Varmageddons at 3400 for the off season and 156gr at 2800. Slapped 2 deer with it last year, sure makes me smile breathing new life into an old rifle.

I'm going to be interested to see how the 6.8W pans out as the new iteration of the 270wsm.
I am interested to see this as well. Where I live, it seems to be exploding right now. I know many people that have purchased them and the guy at cabelas said they are sold the second they put them on the shelf. I just happened to be there when a truck was delivering more. I was planning on buying the 6.5 prc but after I read and heard about this cartridge it seemed like the way to go for elk.

I am interested to see this as well. Where I live, it seems to be exploding right now. I know many people that have purchased them and the guy at cabelas said they are sold the second they put them on the shelf. I just happened to be there when a truck was delivering more. I was planning on buying the 6.5 prc but after I read and heard about this cartridge it seemed like the way to go for elk.
I wish the 270 Sherman would get adopted by the mainstream with a fast twist barrel. Similar, slightly increased performance to that new 6.8W, but in a LA with a standard bolt face… it'd breathe some new life into an old standby.
I must just be sentimental though because I've just always had an explainable love for the .277 caliber.

Kind a partial to the Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. But then most of the areas I hunt deer are wooded, and the shots for the most part are pretty short range, and need to be taken quickly. The lever action fits my needs very well.
I am probably dating myself, but the first rifle I ever bought was a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. I did that after much research on what was the best cartridge for short range shooting in brush country. As a side note I bought that rifle when I was 16. My Dad and I drove up to Wilmot, Wisconsin to what was a guys front living room converted to a retail outlet. It was called Gander Mountain, which was the local Ski area where ski bunnies and others gathered to go downhill skiing during the snow season. Gander Mountain grew and multiplied for many years as one of the premier hunting and shooting suppliers in the country. That lasted for a long time until others got involved in it's management. Eventually Gander Mountain disappeared only to be bought out by an RV dealer who, despite their best efforts had no clue how to market sporting goods and are in the process of dissolving their offshoot Gander Outdoors, primarily due to mismanagement and going back to RV sales. Any way just me getting my two cents in, wishing that the original Gander Mountain hadn't been eaten alive by those who did not understand firearms and hunting.

I would say that my favorite rifle to carry and hunt with would be my custom Cooper 30-06 but if I feel like I might get an extra long or tough shot then I reach for my 257 Weatherby.
148F096A-907C-4C59-96BD-DA43B8041BDF.jpeg
788A4B71-3F2E-47C1-BD62-CB65E7488B3D.png

This is Dr. Atwood, giving me my first fishing pole in about 1951.

He shot a deer every year down on the Oregon coast with his early .270 Winchester Model 70. About ten years after this picture he gave me the rifle. I had it stocked by JK Cloward. There is more to the story, but my typewriter is too small tonight.

Last edited: