Favorite deer rifle

Remington Model 600 350 Rem Mag

The longer I have this rifle, the more it becomes the designated deer rifle. It is light, short, it whacks hard, and it is far from a safe queen. It makes hauling it around the mountain thickets of PA an enjoyable experience. While others may get picked occasionally if hunting from a stand, this one is definitely my go to.

I dunno. In the last few years I've used .300 Wby x1, .300 Win x2, .243 x3, .308 Win x1, .257 Wby x2, and .260 AI x1. Go back a few more years and you can throw in a .25-06, .340 Wby, and a 7mm Rem. I guess my favorite, at present is maybe the suppressed .300 Win on a Rem 700 action. They all seem to work though. :)

Great topic! I plan to use my Winchester Model 94 30-30 for my first Hunt of the season. My Grandpa gave it to me 40 years ago. I set it up as a scout rifle (below). I just sighted it in and it was dead on.
Total agreement. There are arguably better rifles & cartridges but for where I live my beautiful, trusty, old '94 .30-30 is the only one for me. Still packs a wallop! Bought it for $65 with only 9 rounds through it WAY back when! 👍

My favorite rifle for deer is a Remington 700 marked 7mm Express a name change .280 that has killed several truckloads of river bottom deer in Montana shooting a Nosler 150g partition which it loves. I have never had a whitetail or muley take another step after hit with this bullet, they have all been DRT. I have a Leopold 6x42 scope with the LR reticle in it and near to far it has me covered. I swapped out the lumber like basket weave checkered stock for a synthetic pillar bedded stock and saved a pound or so.

My browning x-bolt in 6.5cm with a 19" bartlein and McMillan stock.
F6325608-2817-494D-97E8-8CD95F28B218.jpeg

And backing that up is my beautiful m70 dark maple in .30-06.
020EF5C6-614B-4553-82AC-31BBC1F435BF.jpeg

Last edited:
My current favorite is a Ruger #1A chambered in 7x57. I've owned the rifle for many years,but could never get acceptable accuracy with it,until recently. After years of experimenting with different bullet,powder,seating depth combinations with little success,I finally found a load it shoots well. 160 grain Partitions or Speers with VV N160 shoots,consistentl, MOA groups,and looks great too.

So many, but, I'd have to say as an out and out Deer rifle and the one that I shot my biggest Whitetail buck with, hunting in Winchester Idaho, well... it's my Winchester 1894 .30 WCF circa 1942 and it's mint as well accurate as all get out for a lever rifle using 170gr FN bullets. What can I say; just call me old school. Cheers

View attachment 296006
I have 2 Win 94, 26" octagon barrel. Bought my first one for $90.00 from a shipmate. My guess is he won it in a poker game. I purchased the second one from the base px for $130. Like yours they shoot lights out at 200 yds. Both serial numbers are 1969 products. I got both in 1970. The only time I ever regretted it is when I shot it from horse back. Needles to say my horse did not like it at all and I ended up on the ground, she was afraid of her own shadow. I had shot my my Win 290 .22 from the saddle a couple times with no problem, but she did not like that 30-30.